General Clutch problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by NeilY, Sunday 23rd Nov, 2014.

1. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Hi all was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem & has any ideas please.

I have a 2006 Accord CTDI estate.

A couple of times recently I have been driving along fine, but then have gone to change gear coming up to a junction, pushed the clutch pedal down & it feels quite heavy & then it's hard or impossible to get the gear to go in & the clutch pedal doesn't want to come back up.

If I then put my toe under the pedal & pull it up, everything goes back to normal & gear changing is not a problem again !!!

Anyone else had this & possibly sussed out what's causing it ??

Cheers

Neil

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    First place I would look at is your clutch master cylinder - symptons sound like its a bad one to me. Common problem and issue to go wrong - the CMC are the CTDi's are not particularly strong. Check the CMC fluid level, is it low, is it leaking? Sounds like it is failing and not providing enough pressure to push the clutch fork in fully. Put your hand on the CMC chamber inside the bonnet and get the missus or someone to push the clutch pedal in a few times and see if you can feel a rough vibration through your hand.

What mileage is your car? :garage:

Personally, I would change both the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder as they are both cheap enough.

3. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Thanks for the reply m8, the car has done 125000 ish miles

Cheers

Neil

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You are welcome mate- if that was my car, with that distance, I would try just flushing out the old fluid and rebleeding first. It could just be contaminated. If this doesnt sort it, then I would look at changing the CMC

Replaced both of mine a short time ago, the slave is quite easy, master is a bit more awkward, but its certainly doable by yourself if you are so inclined.

I used aftermarket parts as explained here - Clutch Master Cylinder Installation

Costs around 60 or 70 quid for the part.

Slave is here - Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation