Engine & Gearbox Clutch problem

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rastaj, Tuesday 2nd Jun, 2015.

1. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Rastaj Templemore
    Well lads im having a bit of problem with my clutch. Recently my accord CG8 developed a proble. With its clutch. When I press the clutch when putting the car into first it sticks to the floor and starts to slip. It will alow me to take off but I have to pull the pedal up with my foot before I can engage any other gear. It only does it in first and reverse and if I don't put it into neutral before stopping I can't get it out of gear again. I have replaced the clutch and slave cylinder and bled the sytem but it is still the same. I have a master cylinder on order but im still in the dark as to what could be causing the problem. I am thinking air maybe getting into the system somewhere but I am unsure as to where and the last place I can think of is the master cyl. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You need to change the CMC and see how it after that. Check your fluid line and connections for cracks etc

exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Should be back to normal after you change the master cylinder.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had the same thing happen to me, I posted a thread called clutch woes.
    My pedal did as you described, went to the floor and stayed there, but before this I had a changing bite point, the more you used it, the lower to the floor the bite point got. Indeed mine was the clutch master cylinder, thankfully its pretty easy to access on a RHD Accord unlike our European and American counterparts. I think to have mine replaced by a garage it was £156. I could have done it myself, but needed the car next day for a first aid course.

Chunkylover53 and exec like this.
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As above have said its CMC, you're the third case I've heard of.

6. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right quick update I have now replaced CMC clutch and sc. the above has gone however I am now experiencing a new problem. when accelerating hard the clutch is sticking "not pedal this time". If I drive normally there is no problem but if I put my foot to the floor its as if I am driving on the bite of the clutch

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It kind of sound like your clutch is worn out and starting to slip.

I'm assuming that you have fully bled the clutch ?

8. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I replaced all fluid and bled twice. Its a brand new 3 piece clutch gone into it have done 40miles on it so fat

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry yes, I should have seen that.

In that case I'd say it's not been installed properly, hard to say what could be wrong though.

10. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there a chance that the CMC may need adjusting?

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    A CMC does need pedal adjustment when it is new. There is a locking and locating nut on the rear spindle of the CMC shaft where it connects onto the clutch pedal. You want to adjust it so that the pedal has only a few mm's travel prior to actually engaging the clutch.

If it is not adjusted correctly, it will have the same effect as "riding the clutch" and the clutch will always be partially engaged. Adjustment of the CMC is really important

exec and Harvey like this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

as above, Eric the car guy did a video on this on an Acura TL/ Accord a few years back, its on youtube so should be easy to find and it covers the adjustment of the end float of the CMC

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Where did you get the work done?

Don't quote me on this but I believe Honda dealerships have a special tool that aligns the clutch properly when fixing which a normal mechanic woudn't have

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's called a clutch alignment tool and any good mechanic should have one.