Engine & Gearbox Clutch Problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by KENQW, Monday 22nd Oct, 2012.

1. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    I have had a problem with my clutch for many months where occasionally when the pedal is depressed I can't engage gears and the pedal stays on the floor. I hook it up with my foot and it springs back and then operates normally until the next time which could be weeks. It has been into Honda 3 times having diagnosed, a new master and slave cylinder and the last time the clutch was bled. Still a problem.They tell me the clutch itself is not worn. Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Can anyone tell me what the pedal box is and is the clutch pedal directly connected to the master cylinder? I'm wondering if it's possible for the pedal to not operate the master cylinder under any obscure condition.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It sounds like a master cylinder issue but you say that has been replaced with a new one ? Are you sure ?

3. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Master cylinder was changed by my Honda dealer in January (cost £228) slave cylinder changed in February (cost £184) again by my Honda dealer. I trust they have done what they said. Fault persisted after both items changed. Perhaps the Master is still faulty?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmm, if they changed it then they would have used a new one so shouldn't be that.

Could be the clutch pedal pivot point binding or some part of the actual clutch (pressure plate etc) sticking.

5. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    my problem is that I don't know the mechanical setup of the pedal assembly. What is the pedal box and is it possible that any play in the pedal mounting could allow the piston in the master to not operate? Is there a spring on the pedal which should ensure the pedal returns? The dealer has had the car for a day and are happy that the clutch is ok so I assume that rules out the pressure plate. I wondered if the DMF could be worn but the take up and ride is smooth.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think it will be the DMF, but like Speedy I'd be suspicious of the pressure plate. Especially considering what they've changed so far.
    I bet it doesn't do it when you take it to the dealer, thus the clutch seems ok to them.

7. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    how right you are. It behaves when they have the car and so they say there is nothing wrong, but are happy to change bits on a trial & error process of elimination. I can't understand why there is no back pressure on the pedal from the hydraulic oil when it is depressed.