Engine & Gearbox clutch release bearing ??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 23rd Mar, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys I have what sounds like a bird chirping from my gearbox area on my 2.4 tourer. Now if I rest my foot lightly on the clutch it goes away. I can also hear a gravely noise while driving, again if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal it goes completely. any ideas what this might be, could it be the clutch release bearing. Car is on original clutch an is on 90k miles, thanks tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A bird chirp on slow engagement of first gear is usually the release bearing.

Gravely noise whilst driving sounds odd though !

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Mmm its when the car is in neutral i hear it loudst. But if I very lightly put my foot on the clutch pedal it goes. I think its the same noise when driving just a lot faster. If I rest my foot on the clutch pedal it goes. any ideas thanks tony

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Defininetely sounds like the release bearing to me. What mileage is she sitting at now?

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Shes on 90k miles. If thats what it could be do you know how serious it is or can it go on for a bit like this? Thanks

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've had a random release bearing squeal (only on slow release of the clutch) since 67K miles, I'm now nearly on 150K.

Clutch still going string :biceps:

7. Nighthawk Guest

As Speedy says, it can go on for ages - I would leave it until the clutch starts slipping, IF it starts slipping. It won't give you a catastrophic failure. When you change the clutch, it will be changed as a matter of course as part of the new clutch kit

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys I' m pretty sure thats what it is now I've posted in here for confirmation from the experts ;-) ill live with the noise for now then. Theres no sign of clutch slip at the moment.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just one more thing guys. When I do eventually change the clutch I'll buy the genuine one from Holdcroft Honda but how much do you think I would expect to pay in labour at an independent garage? I have one local to me I trust.
    Thanks!
    Tony

10. Nighthawk Guest

Sorry nobody has answered this yet @tonygw , I don't own a petrol Accord so I don't know. Ask your local garage their hourly rate, a clutch change should only take a few of hours on a petrol. Hopefully others who do own a petrol would be able to advise better. @Staff

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As I do all my own work I'm not really upto speed with what garages charge.

@Nighthawk as you have to drop the subframe, the clutch swap is more likely to take about 5-6 hour job. @Beefy can confirm this.

If I had to take a guess I think it'll be around £200 for labour.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

I stand corrected - cheers mate

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks again. I rekon if I was to get it done at somepoint I would be better off buying the clutch from HH and getting my local independent to do the works (purely as I trust them and its uber convenient!) Think this would work out the most cost effective option.

anyway I'm just thinkingout loud on a public forum LOL, cheers, Tony

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well, seeing as how we're thinking out loud:-

I've long had a few doubts about the wisdom of buying parts from one place and having them fitted at another, as I can imagine that it could make for complications in the event of a subsequent warranty claim. I think it would be better to agree with your chosen garage where you would like them to source the parts... they'll almost certainly be able to buy them cheaper than you anyway. And then they'd be able to back-charge the labour to the supplier if/when any of the parts failed and refitting became necessary.

15. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    For an idependant who hasn't worked on a 2.4 accord before it could take a good while to replace the clutch. Ime sure its 7h book time according to Honda. Its just an awkward engine mount setup that makes the job difficult. Once the subframe is dropped the box just falls out. But then re-fitting all the mounts can be a challage at times. Takes me about 5h to do and I've done a few now. A good garage should be more than capable of doing the job. For no doubts I would say have a genuine clutch fitted by Honda. Of course if funds don't allow my advise is use genuine parts fitted by a good reputable garage preferably familiar with the job.

SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.
  16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks Guys, been told its a big job.
    My local independent charges about £40 an hour so I'd probably be looking at near £300 notes labour if I supply the clutch. I know they do add about 30% to parts they buy (it is a business after all) so maybe there won't be much in it, but I would rather use a genuine Honda part than anything else. Although I've checked with my local Honda dealer and they would be asking about £780. Which is just to much for me.
    Its not a cheap job but not to scary really if I go down the independent route.! cheers
    Tony

17. Nighthawk Guest

Have you spoken to HH and see what they can do for you? They arent too far from you, around an hour.

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but Honda don't actually make clutches. So it would almost certainly be cheaper to source the clutch directly from whoever supplies them to Honda.

If it was a diesel model, then the clutch and DMF manufacturer is LUK.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

hsyasin and Nighthawk like this.
  20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I don't understand! Have I said something wrong?

Is this forum affiliated to Honda and members aren't meant to suggest cheaper ways to but the exact same parts? I felt I was getting into a disagreement yesterday with a Honda technician, which I thought was a little odd.

Apologies to all if I've blundered, but there's no way I'd ever pay extra for spares (or services) that could be readily obtained elsewhere for the identical thing! And I say that as someone who has an account with a Honda dealer (and would, of course, check their prices first). And I acknowledge that SOME spare parts will have to be bought from a Honda dealer.

Let me know if you want me to clear off, but I thought you might appreciate having someone with Bosch diesel systems technical training and experience on the forum?