Engine & Gearbox Clutch Replacement

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Zebster, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I realise that this is a fairly big job, but has anyone here replaced the clutch/DMF themselves? I have access to a copy of the Honda eService Manual DVD, but I'm looking for tips on where to get the parts and any other DIY advice.

I have a 2005 diesel tourer.

Thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It is a big job you need to drop the entire subframe down to do the clutch change.

Also you need a special tool that pretensions the forks on the clutch before you torqued it on.

Without this special tool, you will get engagement issues afterwards.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Thanks Speedy... where did you get the new parts from?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I know the OEM clutch is made by LUK, so was hoping for suggestions of where it can be bought directly rather than paying over-the-odds from Honda. Or maybe someone can recommend alternate clutch makes? I've been searching car forums and Civinfo appears to have joined forces with CG Motorsport and many there recommend a SMF conversion. I am assuming that these use the same clutch as an Accord?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I haven't done a clutch on a diesel myself.

You could contact our club sponsor Holdcroft Honda for prices on parts.

To be eligible for member discounts you need to reach Junior Member status, see this thread for Announcement - Rank Titles and Premium Members explanation

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It seems unlikely that a Honda dealer might re-sell parts cheaper than the original manufacturer, but I'll ask if/when I am able, so thanks again.

Years ago I was badly stung when first buying service spares from a Honda dealer (in Telford) as I later found that the exact same Bosch fuel filter could be bought for less than half the price elsewhere. So I've generally avoided Honda dealers ever since, wherever possible. Maybe I should have become a member years ago?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As a diesel Accord owner myself, there are a few things that our diesel Accords are really fussy over. OEM fuel filters are an absolute must, do not use any other fuel filter at all otherwise you will get EML lights which will put a christmas tree to shame. Also, OEM oil filters too, they arent expensive. I would put the clutch in the same group as the above.

Our sponsor, HH, are really good. You won't get ripped off from them or receive bad treatment. We have a few of their staff on these forums who regularly engage, including one of their mechanics so we do get top advice from the people that actually know our cars.

Put your car in our club garage, it will then show under your posts (like mine) and will help people easily identify what car you have and be able to help more.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is anyone aware of (or even vaguely remembers!) a Honda Karma member who has replaced a diesel clutch and DMF themselves as a DIY?

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Not that I am aware of

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    OK then, thanks.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Clutch change on a Accord is a big job anyway but that special tool you need to pretension the clutch is a big expensive tool. I guess this explains why we haven't seen a DIY on a diesel

@Beefy @Pottermus any idea how much it costs.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Fair point!

I've previously found that 'special tools' referred to in the Honda service manual can readily be improvised, but wouldn't want to rely upon be able to always do this.

Do you know if the pre-tensioning tool is absolutely vital? AFAIK, the new clutch pressure plate comes with a locking piece fitted to prevent the auto-adjuster ratcheting up before (or during) fitment, which gets removed after fitting, but is this a separate issue?

At least the situation isn't urgent. I have had clutch slippage a few years ago, but it recovered (maybe due to the some degree of self-adjustment?) and in the cold weather last month it happened again but it's OK again today. I'm just trying to get a plan of action together for when I do need to crack on and do the job, hopefully when it warms up a bit as I have an unheated garage.

Is it usual to routinely replace the DMF when the clutch is replaced? Have many members replaced this with an SMF?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No one has come fourth stating that they have installed a SMF.

Pre-tensioning is essential on a ICTDI clutch change on the Accord. @Beefy can tell you more as to why.

You will only know if you need a new DMF when it is removed and measured for play and checked for operational functionality.

Occasional clutch slippage that fixes itself tends to be down to the clutch surface "glazing" or some issue with the pressure plate.

Zebster likes this.
  14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    @Zebster Can I ask where you got the service manual DVD? I have been after one for a while.

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It was a copy of a copy of a Honda original, but I didn't ask where it actually originated (and don't want to know!). I'm pretty sure I shouldn't really have it. A friend of mine in the motor trade (a non-Honda independent) supplied it to me.

You do see them pop-up occasionally on eBay, but when I first needed one the only ones that were available were 2003 only and so didn't include diesel models. They are fantastically useful and I would have struggled to do quite a few things without it. I'd also have found life difficult without having a cheap (admittedly cloned) HIM/HDS when doing EGR/IMRC diagnostics, etc and recoding injectors, so I'd also recommend getting one of these as well. Without the Honda manual I would have struggled to do many things like replacing the engine chains, fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc, all really cheaply without spending more in repairs than the car is worth, so do try to get one if possible. I'm sorry I can't give a more helpful answer.

nauest likes this.
  16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Fair enough! I will do my best to find one. They do seem pretty elusive!

Thanks for the reply, I will continue my search!

17. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
  18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    that's the crux of the matter. you have got to borrow or buy the special tools to do certain jobs on cars nowadays. timing belts are a prime example, they have become so complicated each car has its own tool set required to replace them. it comes to the point where the cost of just having it done for you is as good an option. if your doing it on your back at home you will have to drop the subframe to get the box out.

SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.
  20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .