Engine & Gearbox Clutch slip!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Paul, Tuesday 17th Apr, 2012.

1. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well everything was going well with the car and just clocked up 66,000 miles yesterday. Whilst accelerating in 4th gear got the dreaded clutch slip. I wasn't sure it had happened initially but then it did it again a few moments later. Everything was fine today but its the sign of things to come. I'll put a call in to HH and see how the Honda warranty goes. As long as the clutch material isn't worn out and its a failing on the pressure plate I just might be ok....(fingers crossed)....

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yup it will be interesting to see what they say...would the box have to come out to diagnose if it was one or t'other?

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup think so. I'll speak with HH and see how best to proceed.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul let me know if you do go down..

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will do buddy. Will give them a call this afternoon if I get chance.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul did you call HH bud?

7. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Anny Accrington
    Hi paul iv got the same problem on my 2006 honda FR-V 2.2cdti buts its covered 166k now clutch slips on accelerating on 4 and 5 gears but biting point is normal around town driving no flywheel rattle at all took it to local garage who said it might be pressure plate as these clutches are self adjusting? so im in 2minds of just getting a full 3piece clutch kit by LUK for £149.99 from ebay or just pressure plate for £55.95 my garage goes you might aswell get full kit i hope flywheel is fine as that cost over £550 with clutch kit

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Wow - a 4 year thread resurrection

Good luck with your clutch however

9. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks bud

10. Nighthawk Guest

On a serious note however they come as a kit as they are designed to bed into one another. If you replace just one component, you may well run into issues a little way down the road. If you replace them, I would strongly advise you replace them all, the pressure plate, clutch and thrust bearing, especially with the amount of work needed to get to the components in the first place

11. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advise mate i will get the full kit as we really love the car its perfect for the kids and pram etc

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Get them to check the DMF too - they can give issues on high mileage CTDi's

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    :whathesaid::goodluck:

14. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks bud regarding the DMF i did a check my self by pressing clutch down halfway and there is no rattle at all so im hoping thats fine! FINGERS CROSSED

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Don't rush into changing the clutch. Mines on almost 170k miles and has gone through a couple of bouts of quite noticeable slipping in the 8 years I've owned her, but has pleasantly surprised me by making a full recovery each time.

The pressure plate has a self-adjuster mechanism that obviously takes a while to do it's business sometimes... I've seen loads of other examples of this happening on the Civinfo forum (same engine, same clutch).

PeteMM and Nighthawk like this.