Engine & Gearbox Clutch slipping?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Tuesday 30th Aug, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So two weeks ago when accelerating, I noticed how the revs were jumping up but the car wasn't going up much in speed, didn't make much of it. Then another time on the dual carriageway in 5th cruising, I went to overtake, the revs shot up but the car wasn't picking up speed. So I assumed the clutch is slipping. It now revs up in all gears without moving much, I have to be light on the throttle and let it slowly pick up pace, its driving me mad tbh. The car stalls fine in all gears.

100% certain its the clutch slipping, with some of my bad habits (riding clutch) and driving (dumping clutch) it would explain why its giving up the ghost at 88k! But wanted second thoughts before I take the plunge. Speaking of which anyone know how much a Honda dealer charges for a clutch change? Rang up Chiswick Honda last week but they were too busy...

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like a slippy clutch to me. Another way is to see if you can pull off in high gears, such as pulling off from a standstill in 3rd or 4th. If its 88k on the original clutch, thats pretty good going. No idea the cost of replacement but its cheaper than a diesel at least.

exec likes this.
  3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Aye, I had a slipping clutch in my old Cavalier, symptoms sound identical.

Remember it can start to wear the flywheel as the friction material runs down to the bare metal, so don't delay too much with the fix.

Don't know the fitted price unfortunately.

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers guys, going to ring dealer again, I fear it will be around £400, same value as the whole car!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just phoned Chiswick Honda and got through, fixed price clutch replacement cost for parts and labour...........£650 :shock::shock::shock::shock:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They'll be plenty of garages that could do this job at less than half the price quoted from Dealer. It's a case of finding a garage that will do a good job.

It is a pretty big job assuming the sub frame needs dropping.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh I got quoted £200 from an independent for labour, but thats the problem with independent garages, how do you know they will do a good job? I thought I had a trusty garage but they messed me over several times and ruined the car, then I had another bad experience with a bodyshop, so I don't trust any of these shoddy independent garages to do a proper job, they are all crooks, was hoping to use a dealer but its too pricey.

If I had space and access to the bottom I would have attempted this myself, I think the subframe doesn't need dropping on the 6th Generation. I might just try out that independent place for £200 and get the parts from Holdcroft.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm always surprised that people automatically trust dealers. It's just a garage with a franchise!

Auto Ali, AndyB1976 and Nighthawk like this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Totally agree, load of dealers with bad reps hence why I phoned Chiswick Honda dealer who have a good rep and know a few people who bought and use them and have positive things to say.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think its a fact that genuine Honda stuff is the best dose for an ailing car. However the economics of keeping and maintaining an old car at the bottom end of its depreciation, most of the times it doesn't make much financial sense to go for the best. I don't think you drive as much and its not your commute car so I don't think there is any harm in going for a small garage to do the job for you. Have you found out the cost of genuine clutch btw?

Also, a bit far but @IHS Huddersfield recently posted an offer for Jazz input shaft bearing replacement for £200 something... so their prices are very competitive but then again its a bit of a task going up 200miles :/

exec likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

Personally, when faced with the choice between replacing a part which takes it close to the value of the car or whether its financially viable, I ask myself, if I got rid of the car, would I be able to get something reliable for the price of fixing the part. When @Beefy changed the mainshaft input bearing on the EP2, it certainly wasnt cheap, but after chatting with the missus, we decided that as there was nothing else wrong with the car, we would not have been able to get another good car for the cost of replacing the bearing, so for us, it made more sense to repair the car then scrap it. It hasnt put a foot wrong since.

If there is nothing wrong with your car other than the clutch, and you are still happy with her, I would definetely just get it changed. You won't find another good condition car for the cost of a clutch and if you did, something else would be wrong with it. Most people don't sell perfectly functional cars.

Phil P, exec, AndyB1976 and 2 others like this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Nighthawk I think you hit the nail on the head, thank you :Niceone:, I think I will stick with the old guy and risk an independent garage, the car is a trusty old friend and never let me down. Really don't want to spend 4-5k on buying another car, trying to save up for a deposit, and all it will do is sit parked up during the week getting scratched and scuffed.

@legendary Looking at coxhondaparts it is £170, I would assume perhaps from HH it would be £150, worst comes to worst the same clutch can be bought from ECP ET al for around £100 I believe. so with £200 labour it should cost around £350 in total, I just hope the flywheel is in good working order!

Harvey and Nighthawk like this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Petrol clutches are easier to replace than diesels as you don't have to worry about the DMFs etc. Have you got an exact quote yet from HH? It was very reasonably priced when they did the EP2 for us, the only really expensive part was the bearing replacement, but the clutch replacement itself was I think around 300 including parts. (Il have to dig out the receipt to give a more accurate figure, but I am fairly confident it was around that region).

exec likes this.
  13. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    If your clutch pedal don't shake or vibrate then the flywheel shouldn't have taken damage.

exec likes this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Fiskekutteren Thanks for that info, I don't have nay of those symptons so hopefully should be good.

Phoned up Holdrcroft for clutch price and they gave a very reasonable quote of £150, unfortunately though it's not stocked and it could potentially taken until sometime October to arrived.

I've found an Exedy clutch on ebay for £90, just not sure how good it will be and I was under impression they make performance clutches so it might be on the heavy side to use...

FOR HONDA ACCORD CG8 CH6 CG9 CH7 1.8 2.0 PETROL EXEDY CLUTCH KIT MADE IN JAPAN | eBay

Harvey and Fiskekutteren like this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

I assume that was just the supply price from HH @exec ?

Could they do anything on the fitted price?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Try coxmotorparts. They are a honda dealer too and are also quite reasonbly priced for supply

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Nighthawk That was for parts only indeed. The fitted price seems to be fixed price of £650 everywhere and Holdcroft is too far for me to travel anyway. Cox have it up for £180, but i'm tempted to save a lil and go with the exedy clutch, was hoping to find a LUK one but they are expensive at £300.

What else do I need for clutch change apart from the clutch kit and MTF? Can't think of anything else.

17. Nighthawk Guest

Thats it. The kit should contain the thrust bearing and pressure plate so thats it. I do like luk myself I must say but as you say, they are expensive

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers for confirmation. I believe the OEM clutch is made by LUK, it used to be £100 at ECP but not available anymore...

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Bought exedy clutch that I linked above. Hopefully its genuine and will fit.

Will give HH a ring next week to get MTF and washers ordered.

Harvey, Fiskekutteren and Nighthawk like this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is it worth changing any of the oil seals on the box whilst having the clutch done?