Engine & Gearbox Clutch smell?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by pjwy, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016.

1. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Yorkshire
    Took wife' recently purchased 2009 CR-V es ( 48000 miles) to carwash today and guy there thought he could smell clutch.
    Not noticed anything myself and no dlipping etc but not knowing much about mechanics ( nowt in fact) thought I would mention it on here.
    Car not due service until May so could it be that some fluid top up might be neccessary....should I be too concerned at this stage if the car wash guy was right?
    Many thanks in advance for advice.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's more likely to be brake pad smell rather than the clutch. You'd have to have been heavily abusing the clutch to smell burning clutch.

So it could just be a stuck caliper instead.

3. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Speedy...well I took it for a test run,long incline hill,through the gears and couldn't detect any sign of slipping.
    Due to go on a longish run tomorrow about 80 miles each way so going to be wondering all the time! Car seems to drive fine with no apparent probs other than the bits reported on other threads like parking sensors etc.
    Not sure what a 'stuck caliper ' is ...should I abandon take offin the morning?

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    "Stuck caliper" which Speedy refers to is the brake caliper. Honda calipers from time to time become "sticky" and do not release properly which means that the brake is always partially engaged. As a result, the friction material burns and gives off a very distinct acrid smell which smells just like a burning clutch. One of the easiest ways for a non mechanically minded person to check this is go on a few miles drive, down a quiet road if possible, get a bit of speed up and let the car just naturally glide to a complete stop without you using the footbrake. If you then get out and feel the face of each of your alloy wheels, if one of them is hot to touch, or warmer than the other three, then you likely have a seized/sticky caliper on that side

5. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will try that thank you nighthawk.

6. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just went on 3-4 mile run virtually no breaking and checked the alloys....all four felt completely cool .
    So I drove home using hardly any breaking...still all alloys were cold but when I put my hand behind the wheels,where the discs are,the offside front and nearside rear felt slightly warm whereas the other two were completely cool.
    Would this be significant after a total 4-5 mile trip?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Depends on the level of stickiness however if it was enough for them to smell the acrid smell, then that disc would be so hot you wouldn't be able to touch it without burning yourself. A 5 mile trip is more than enough to see if its a sticky caliper or not as you know for yourself, how quickly friction heats something up. So yes, if it was sticking with anything to be concerned about, it would be significant. There are other basic ways of checking as well, look at your discs through the alloys, is there a white band on the surface area of where the pads make contact? White band means excessive heat. Is the a lot more brake dust on one alloy rather than the others?

From the sounds of it, I wouldn't be too worried at this stage, a sticky caliper would show up by now. Keep an eye on it.

8. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do these other checks and see what they reveal ..many thanks again.

9. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just went to check the discs as best I could with torch but can not see anything untoward.
    As far as smell is concerned,the only thing I can detect is that the engine perhaps smells a bit hot but not such that I would have noticed it if the guy at the car wash had'nt commented!
    And there has been nothing to indicate problems on the dashboard.