Engine & Gearbox clutch woes

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Wednesday 18th Mar, 2015.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Jumped in the car this afternoon to head into town for lunch and today something strange happened, the bite point of the clutch which is normally near the middle was almost at the bottom of the pedal near the floor. The car still drives fine, but this has happened a few times and especially when pumped and engaged, like you would in moving traffic the pedal stays near the floor.
    However it will return with help from a foot behind the pedal. And then it works normally.

Any ideas?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like clutch master cylinder issue (or less likely the slave).

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh, bugger, hope thats isnt the case, the fluid level is fine, but its abit dirty and brown looking, is it worth trying to bleed fresh fluid through first and see if it keeps doing it, as I don't think I will have the time to do anything until the weekend, as tomorrow I have to drive to a first aid course.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Worth a try.

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a word with a guy in work who messes around with cars and he seems to think clutch master cylinder and seema to think if it won't its the madter cylinder, but will have to wait till Saturday.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like the CMC to me - got a bit of air trapped in there resulting in the fluctuating bite point. Bleed it all out and replace with fresh fluid. Bleeding a clutch is really easy - takes 10 minutes if that.

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll give it a go, worst case scenario if it won't bleed, ill have to borrow a car for tomorrow, probably be my aunties astra mind.

8. Nighthawk Guest

Have you ever bled a clutch before?

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Only ever gravity bled brakes before, never a clutch.

10. Nighthawk Guest

Clutch is really easy mate in comparison to brakes. Get yourself one of those single man bleeders with a one way valve (or a mity vac like I have), open the clutch res, suck the old fluid out of there, refill with clean fluid, connect end of bleeder onto bleed nipple, crack it loose and get either the other half to pump the clutch pedal a couple of times, making sure its held on the floor when you tighten it up, or do it yourself. Reserviour empties really quickly (just a few presses of the pedal) so keep that in mind. Top up res with fresh fluid and continue until fresh fluid comes out. Tighten the nipple up, top up fluid again, see how the clutch performs then. For the price of a 500ml botle of fluid, its worth giving it a go. The fluid attracts moisture like any brake fluid, resulting in bubbles, like brakes, causing a fluctuation in clutch pedal bite point. It is honestly a 10 - 15 minute job

Here is my DIY from replacing my slave cylinder where I use the mityvac but hopefully it gives you an idea. My slave cylinder was actually cracked, allowing air into the system, causing the symptoms above as you described.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation

Nels likes this.
  11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm almost certain its a CMC issue too - Uncle has a 6th Generation and its CMC went at 45k (admittedly its 13yrs old now).

12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well bad news!

I tried to bleed the system, it has fresh fluid in there now, but the symptoms remain, so bleeding did not solve the issue. The fluid that came out was a disgusting colour thought, now has fresh.

so I am afraid, with no time to fix the issue tonight and need to be somewhere far away tomorrow the car is booked into a local garage for repair, much to my displeasure, as I recon this is a job I could do myself, its alot easier to access than the ones on American Accords and bleeding was easy.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Well at least you gave it a shot and she will be happier now with clean fluid rather than the black fluid that comes over time.

14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    @Harvey What milage did yours go at? I'm still on original cylinders, with black fluid so half expecting a failure anytime soon. I'm at 93k.

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm at 128k mate whwn it died and the fluid was more chocolate brown @Nighthawk

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah..that colour is close to mine too. Are you going with an OEM part or Blueprint that seems to work well from what I hear?

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chances are its gonna be non OEM, probably a blueprint one if anything, I just told him to do what ever it needs to be done.

18. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one....hope its back on the road ASAP. Just pondering whether or not to do a preemptive strike on mine lol

19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just change the fluid while you can, its a piece of pee to do.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You got a lot of mileage out of it at 128k to be fair.

Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.