Aftermarket Kit Cold Air Intake

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Kieren Shepherd, Sunday 1st Mar, 2015.

1. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Anyone installed a COI on the 8th Generation, if so which one and would you say its worth it?

Thanks!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen a K&N short ram intake but I won't class that as a CAI.

3. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    @Ichiban what exactly is the difference between the two? Pro's/Con's... :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    An SRI (Short Ram Intake) sits in the engine bay and therefore picks up hot air from the engine.
    Hot air is less dense so you end up affecting horsepower and torque. Although you can get SRIs with covers around that try to shield the filter from engine heat.

CAI (Cold Air Intake) picks up the air from outside the engine bay so the air is more dense and therefore you get better HP and torque advantage from it.

I've tried both on my 7th Generation and I can say my CAI was definitely an improvement over the SRI.
    I'd imagine most of the 7th Generation SRI and CAI, should also work on the 8th.

I had a discussion with @DeviateDefiant a short while back about the two of us doing a complete thread on intake options available, perhaps we should go ahead and create this thread @DeviateDefiant ?

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    The standard air intake for the CU1 is cold. The actual intake sits jut beneath the bonnet (LHD side) and a second intake is more down under. No influence of engine heat.
    I do measure my intake temps and they are only a few (2 to 3) degrees above ambient temp. Nothing can improve this!
    Only after long traffic jam, the temps begin to rise, but that is very normal and once on speed, they drop immediately.
    So I would keep my hands of the CU1 standard intake. Hard to beat!!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pretty much same here its perfectly tuned for the roads, why change something for bling when it just works superbly.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yes mate, I think we need to start doing mod guides for commonly upgraded parts spelling out the options available.