Engine & Gearbox Cold start idle speed?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Westman, Friday 4th Sep, 2015.

1. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Hi All
    Can anybody advice me on the correct cold start idle speed please? (CR-V 05 automatic) Ever since I have owned the vehicle it's initial cold start idle is approx 2000 RPM. It quickly warms up and settles on a steady ,smooth 650rpm . WIth the onset of colder weather is this likely to get any higher? It just seems a bit high especially on a stone cold engine.
    Thanks all.
    JPR

2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hi John I'm sure my petrol idles at about 1500 from cold.
    I will have to check.The good thing is your car reverts back to 650 when warm so probably not must to worry about.
    But let the rest of the team comment.
    You can do an easy diy by altering the throttle cable under the bonnet but if its reverting back normal probably no need.
    BTW is your car petrol or Diesel

3. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Sorry forgot to specify..It's a petrol and automatic.The cold start initial idle doesn't vary , there is no difference on a really hot day (can you remember those?) or the recent cool mornings.
    Just seems a bit fast

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd be reluctant to adjust the throttle cable to permanently adjust the idle, as the primary idle control lies within the ECU... any adjustment mechanism for the cable is to set the slack in the accelerator pedal.

Erratic idle can be a symptom of an air leak on the intake side, if it's a petrol. I'm guessing it isn't a diesel as they don't usually run fast on a cold idle.

EDIT - oh yes, I see it's a petrol now (posts crossed)

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd second that. Throttle plate opening and idle control are two different functions on the throttle body.

You may benefit from doing the idle learn process (described on the forum somewhere).

6. colinwade55 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jake Kirkcudbright
    My 02 petrol auto idles at 1500rpm then steadies at around 650 to 700rpm. As there is consistency in the figures and the vehicle steadies once warm, I would say all is ok. After a couple of minutes at 1500rpm mine drops to 1000 then comes down fairly quickly as the engine warms up really quickly. It has been cold and wet here in Scotland recently and there has been no variance in the revs hot or v-cold.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    All the K series engine exhibit this behaviour (high fast idle for a couple of minutes before settling), it's a way of ensuring the engine gets up to temperature quickly and is perfectly normal.

colinwade55 likes this.