Engine & Gearbox cold start rattle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Tuesday 30th Dec, 2014.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    had a right old rattle from the engine earlier when starting up from cold today, understandably is was damn cold out there, it settled down after a few seconds, so can only guess slow flow of engine oil to the top of engine, mind you I did start the car yesterday morning with again severe frost just to move it half way down the drive and didn't notice it rattle like it did today, supposedly had 0w30 put in it at last service, so didn't expect this rattling, but as said maybe as it was so cold overnight etc. it was just the slow flow with oil, be interested to know if others are experiencing this with the cold weather at present?
    Cheers Pete

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Will have a look at that thanks mate, although it did sound more like lack of oil to top of engine rather than anything underneath the car.
    Cheers Pete

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    been under the car this morning and checked the Cat shield and all is good there in fact in amazing condition given its age etc, hardly any rust under there, the whole of the underneath looks good looks more like a car of only a couple of years old, so thought I'd have a closer look at the oil before firing up and given the ambient temp' the oil is like treacle!! so that probably explains the rattling experienced yesterday, wasn't too bad this morning few light rattles (probably helped that I drove it around yesterday) as to be expected with stone cold engine and that oil!! so car is getting oil and filter change on Saturday morning which should help things out a bit.
    Cheers Pete

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You ideally need the car on a lift to examine the cat shields you cannot look at them kneeling down, you will find the top one actually rusted and failed.

6. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    I was on the floor crawling under the car ( yep a mad fool in this weather!LOL) none the more for that I see what you're saying now, I was paying more attention to the shield between the floor pan and cat, although the ones surrounding the cat looked to be in good shape too , I think I need to take a closer look at the top surround one I believe you're talking about as I hadn't realised it was a two part cover surrounding the Cat.
    Cheers Pete