Body, Paint & Styling collapsed jacking point and sticking rear calipers.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Thursday 25th Feb, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have some good news and some bad news :Frown:

I had noticed that my handbrake was getting worse to apply and its lack of effort, especially during the replacement of the front brakes as I rotated the front tyres to the back, so I could get new tyres on the front. With the handbrake applied I was able to turn the wheel with the wheel brace.

It turned out that I had a sticking caliper slide pin. The same one that I had got unstuck about 18 months ago and re lubed up with silicone grease. I did not have it apart last year for a service.

Good news is that the slide pine was serviceable and I cleaned and re lubricated it all up.

Now for the bad part. the Passenger side rear jacking point has now folded over again and gone bad. What is more annoying though is that a garage had welded the area previously as I had discovered a rusted out cill in that area and asked them to repair it and reinforce the jacking point. Well looks like they didn't and I am gonna have to put it in again to have the cill welded and the jacking point repaired.

There is however another good thing to come out of this as I shall be ordering a new fuel filter and the fixing bolts and having this installed at the same time.
    exec likes this.
  2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Loads of welding is never good compared to changing a filter. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and admit bump is now scrap. Unless you can weld up the jacking point which is structual your fighting a loosing game. Put your car in for an MOT to see how bad it is.
    If its only a couple of hundred quid then ok.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know the MOT is gonna be pretty good mate. A previous repair in the area of the jacking point with thin metal has made it weak. So chanced are I will go to a different garage and get it done with thicker metal and welded up tidy and made strong.
    exec likes this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry to hear Gareth, hopefully the new weld will improve it, thats the problem with garages, most are just lying crooks, even the ones you think are honest outwardly.
    Harvey likes this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest that garage has been pretty good and lots of people I know use him and he's pretty cheap as well. I think in this case it was just a bad choice of metal.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you managed to get the welding done now @Harvey ?
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not yet @Nels , the other garage was choca when I enquired, I'll give him a ring on Monday, as I also have a new fuel filter for him to install as well.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP. Looks like you've got it all under control. :Niceone:
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup, the nicd little Honda parts box coming from Holdcroft Honda of course, genuine wiper blades, front and back, genuine filter, new bolts for it too.

Go me for genuine stuff as well.
    Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Harvey likes this.