General Comparison of my 8th and 7th Generation Accord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AccordCU2, Monday 5th Dec, 2011.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

M

Last edited: Friday 30th May, 2014
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Zoran

Thanks for this feedback which I know people will find very useful.

When I moved up from the 6th to the 7th Generation a few months back it felt like a huge leap forward so obviously Honda are continuing to evolve and make massive improvements to each Generation of Accord.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree with you Cliff .they do improve with every generation.wonder what's 9th generation gonna be like.I just hope I am gonna have trouble free motoring with this one.I plan to keep it for many years.

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never been in an 8th Generation but do have my eyes on one but not for a few years yet :Frown:

I really like the look of them but promised by wife I'd keep this one until it had 100k on it. Only 38k to go!

5. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a 6G 2.0 Petrol and a 7G diesel (pre face lift) - both EXEC spec, I'm about to trade in for a 8G Diesel so will update comments then.
    I had less issues and more nostalgia for the 6G, the 7G did seem to be an improvement overall and slightly better in quality but I did feel there was a drop in driver comfort, the seat and stereo seemed both a step down in the 7G (hey it's the little things!)

this seems to be rectified in the 8G if the test drive (and playing in the showroom waiting for services to finish) are anything to go by..
    and the 8G finally has something more than a trip computer!

I'll update after having the 8G for a few days.

Az

Last edited: Monday 9th Jan, 2012
  6. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NB: previously owned:
    bad: 700 miles to getting a DPF warning, awaiting a drivers door speaker... sounds like an old transit,
    good: very comfy, nice on the motorway, ADAS & ACControl is soooooooooooo lazy.

I'll update some more when I get a couple of niggles sorted,
    current thoughts:
    the transition from 7G Hydraulic to 8th Generation steering took me a couple of days, now electric and felt totally different, I was virtually fighting it to start with, firms up nicely at speed
    engine (diesel) is smoother yet noisier
    The car feels so much more stable in normal driving (not been larging it about yet) e.g. on a long bend I do every day, in damp conditions I realised I was 15 mph up on my normal sweep through speed (& still legal)

All the buttons do start to make sense!
    Liking the blue ambient lighting..

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Azzy welcome to the forum good to see you progressing through three generation of Accord, as for the DPF make sure you can had all the latest ECU updates and well as the DPF oil increase safety recall. Check out the 8th gen section nearly all know I-DTEC issues are listed. All these ECU updates do help in making the 8th Generation more reliable and it irons out all self-induced DPF warnings.

Your assessment regarding the power steering is natural and a lot of owners have highlighted it. I personally love the 7th Generation hydraulic rack its more precise and did not have the dead centre which you experience with the 8th Generation. However with time you will not feel it and will gasp the feel and will notice a small effort on the steering makes the car pointed to where you want .

Please do post your experience and if you have an issue there please ask away more than willing to help.

Top tip if you don’t want DPF related issues on your Accord.

Stop using supermarket fuel… its cheap for a reason, use BP Ultimate or Shell Vpower diesel they do make the difference and keeps the car healthy.

Use DPF compliant oil ONLY. Don’t top up with any oil which is 0w-30 grade (this is main cause of DPF issues driver inflicted.)

Give your car long runs frequently.

8. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers Ichi,
    it's funny it had a good run yesterday, well sedate 6th gear plod up to wales, then one short drop off at the kids nursery this morning it flagged up on restart.
    I thing I'll go for a long run in low gear tonight and start visiting the shell garage.. one near work is actually fairly competative.
    (you did answer my next question, does fuel have a difference- even if I secretly knew the answer...)

I've been gentle with it so far, trying to obey the green arrows, the oil i have is complient but not needed it yet..

cheers
    Az

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Az,

have a look at this thread Diesel Particulate Filters and Euro Five Emission Standard. at the bottom there is a link to an article which explains it in more details the huge fuel variation and standard floating around.

The so called green fuels have huge tolerances and vagueness and ALL the manufacturers can’t produce a ECU for huge a huge variation in fuel quality.

From a Honda perspective just give you an indication the CR-V DPF is different from the Accord, even the European equipped I-CTDI vehicles with a DPF system have different engine dimensions which prevent this fault from occurring. For the I-DTEC engine in the CR-V, the software settings are different thus limiting the amount of fuel injected for DPF regeneration.

Just to reiterate from a Honda perspective and this thread Engine & Gearbox - Safety Recall -Engine Oil Level Increase on the i-DTEC Engines • Honda Karma and to elaborate why this fault happens

During the DPF regeneration process, diesel fuel is injected into the combustion chamber after the main ignition cycle in order to raise the DPF temperature and burn off the accumulated soot particles in the DPF. This results in some diesel fuel entering the oil pan. This fuel normally vaporises during normal driving and the engine oil level is maintained. In order to prevent engine damage by this oil dilution, the ECU software prevents DPF regeneration if the oil dilution is calculated to be more than 10%.
    This ECU calculation is not accurate enough to compensate for different fuels in the market and also underestimates the amount of fuel vaporised during driving and the amount of fuel required for DPF regeneration.

As a result of these inaccuracies, the oil level in the engine may increase to the extent that engine oil can enter the combustion chamber through the blow by system and the engine may start to combust this oil.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Azzy how do you find road noise in yours comparing to 7th Generation?Mine is no better than my old car.Maybe is my tyres,i got Yokohama Advan sport.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What PSI you running Zoran, advans are performance tyres try looking for a tyre with db decibel rating next to it .

I have been using Yokohama AVS dB v550 on both tourer to limit the sound . sound is my biggest criteria i love this tyre it is very quite. have a look at http://www.yokohama-online.com/file...catalogues/downloads/2011_YEU_PCR_English.zip

if you want to go for another manufacture look at their spec first.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

225/45/18 38 psi front and 35 psi rear
    Just had a look at that link and that tyre is not available in this size

Last edited: Monday 9th Jan, 2012
  13. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Zoran, I had the pre face lift 7th Generation, I was on Michelin HP premacy's, but had bridgestones & toyos on it at various points, on the 8th I've got the (I think standard) Yokohama's /nips out to carpark.... dB decibel range hmm supposed to be quiet, can't find then online in the rated speed weight that they actually are maybe not standard....
    anyway ~I get the impression the cabin is more isolated than the old car, road and tyre noise is certainly lower in my case, possibly part of the reason the engine seems noisier...

Az

14. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ha, you've had a whole conversation whilst I was searching the net* lol
    maybe they are standard from Ichiban's post

also noticed you're on 18's Zoran, I'm still on stock 17" rims

Az

edit (3rd attempt, damn connection!!!)
    * should have gone to page 2 <coughs>
    also can't find 225/50/17 98Y in that brochure either, that's the one I found too

Last edited: Tuesday 10th Jan, 2012
  15. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

btw DPF warning went off on the way home last night, hasn't come back on yet.
    lots of time @3K to get some heat in the system, actually cleared in ~ 30 mins rush hour - whilst in stop start traffic! but had a bit of good running up to that point.

lesson: stop driving like an old gimmer.
    also of note, whilst MPG went down in the process, it's actually gone higher this morning than i previously managed.. I'm ignoring the green arrows and going slightly higher in revs than previous.. also having more fun driving that way..

and the engine sounds less like a transit today..

Az

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its not listed but find out from a Yokohama dealer is they can source it I have 225\40\18 so can't see why your tyres size can't be available.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't stand for it!! I-DTEC engine has had numerous updates to iron out the combustion noise. I would take it to your local dealer and get them to check your VIN number to see all outstanding patches have been applied.

18. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Azzy any updates did you go to your local dealers where they able to assist you with your query?

20. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it's going back for another speaker, so will follow up then, they don't seem to have read the supplied pointed out notes from the last visit...I've been using them for a decade & they're going through a bit of a site upheaval, things always get resolved in the end with them.

and tbh it sounds worse as it gets closer to a DPF purge ...
    az