HVAC Compressor clutch

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Fordham1984, Wednesday 13th Jul, 2016.

1. Fordham1984 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have found that my clutch on the compressor is not working. Now I have a compressor from a Accord Type-R is the clutch the same as that one works fine.

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    No idea if the clutch is the same, but there is a relay for the compressor clutch that can cause problems in most Honda's around that age. Just hoping to save you the hassle of swapping them out if you haven't bypassed the relay to confirm that it is indeed the clutch at fault.

3. Fordham1984 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah already linked out the relay and the clutch does nothing at all :Frown:

4. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    My old ek4 did this and Honda wanted £800 for a new clutch.

Wearing T-Shirts was cheaper :Wink:

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    By "linked out", if you mean that you removed the relay and used a temporary wire link instead, and the clutch still didn't engage, then it could well be the clutch is sticking. In the past, someone (not me) wellied it with a hammer and it engaged.

But it might also be a fault in the convoluted signal path from the pressure sensor, or even the pressure sensor itself. The compressor-clutch relay is turned on by the ECU, but the ECU gets the OK from the Gauge Control module, which gets the signal from the pressure sensor (wiring is routed through the under-hood fusebox).

One other point, are you sure there's enough gas in the system ?

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Oh well was worth a try, I'd check Jim's suggestions as well, not that doing the compressor clutch is impossible just a pain. (Insert working on AC warnings here)

If you can get a part number off the clutch you have and the OEM from a website like https://www.lingshondaparts.com and then search the two, to see if they check out the the same or if a spurious part fit the two cars it would be a good guess that they are compatible.

jimjams likes this.