Wanted Computer bits n bobs

Discussion in 'Other Items' started by moob, Saturday 28th Feb, 2015.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm building a new htpc on a budget. I'm using a Gigabyte Brix as my base.

I'm looking for a stick of compatible ram, must be sodimm ddr3 1333mhz or 1600mhz @ 1.35V, minimum of 4gb, but as this box only has one slot I'd prefer 8gb.

I'm also after a 2.5" ssd or a hybrid ssd.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Might I be so rude as to ask what your budget is ? Also, what OS you going to run ? I use an Intel NUC (the version with onboard IR receiver) along with a 64GB mSATA, running OpenELEC. The NUC, RAM and mSATA set me back about £400 I think, which for the size and performance is not too bad.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry - forgot too add - I'll see on Monday if there's any RAM lying around at work. No promises though.

DeviateDefiant and moob like this.
  3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Trying to keep it to £200, it is possible with this wee box as it is only 110, with a baytrail processor.

I'm probably going to put Windows 8 on it, dunno about a lot about openelec etc

4. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Any folks got this kit lying around?

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just checked at work - nothing going spare. Sorry

moob likes this.
  6. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Thanks for looking @RogerH69
    - - - Updated - - -
    In a related matter, does anyone know the cheapest way to get windows 7/8 legally?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not sure what the answer to that is but have you thought about not try a non Windows OS ?

One of the many Linux based flavours ?

8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @SpeedyGee dunno much about Linux etc, need an os compatible with utorrent, vlc and other media players etc. Would like to be able to install steam and games also.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you're a techie head Linux is a good thing to get into.

Totally free and plenty of variants.

Gaming, hmm now that's a tricky one where Windows wins hands down.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Steam does support some flavours of Linux (such as Ubuntu)(. However the games that are available on the Linux Steam may not be that varied as on Windows.

If you are using a Celeron processor, and onboard GFX in your HTPC, I would not expect gaming performance to be too good, even with the settings turned all the way down. As far I know you can use uTorrent on Linux, and VLC should also work.

There is no 'cheap' way to get Windows 7/8 free legally, unless it comes with a PC pre-installed.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I would however, be a little wary about using Linux, until you are more familiar with it, especially when building custom machines, as getting and installing drivers for Linux is not always as easy as it is on Windows.

moob likes this.
  11. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Thanks for the advice @RogerH69 - the celeron is a J1900 quad core with bay trail architecture - specs seem decent and with 8gb of ddr3 - I think it may do some games - but I don't plan on using it for that too often, really something to keep the little ones occupied on holiday - would save me hulking about my PS3 phat.

There are guys on fleabay selling licence keys with COA for around £30 - feedback seems very good.

12. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Be care full buying license keys I bought one for Office and it did not work and was not genuine. also my bank cancelled my credit card as they said that company was high risk of fraudulent use. This was not from ebay but I would imagine they sell there as well.

13. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    As an alternative to the Microsoft office suit............................Open Office is free and a good program or is it app nowadays. I have used it for at least the last ten years with no problems

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just chasing adverts which are just sitting?
    Still after these @moob ?