Off-Topic Computer choice - PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SayamaAccord, Monday 16th Jan, 2012.

?

Computer choice - PC or Mac?

Poll closed Sunday 22nd Jan, 2012.
  1. PC

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Mac

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If money was no object would you go for a PC or a Mac?

My wife has owned several PCs but now has an iMac and says she will always stay with Apple in future because she thinks they are much better than PCs...easier to use and more intuitive she reckons plus much faster and better graphics.

My teenage son is also a convert - he always goes on the Mac when he can and only bothers with my PC when he has no other option.

My brother in law has also just got a Mac and he says he thinks they make PCs seem primitive in comparison.

I run a PC which I assembled myself. It's in a modded Antec PlusView case I bought in 2004 and is currently running an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T processor. Self build means you can get the system exactly how you want it down to every little detail, which is only an option if you run a PC. So for me this includes a Microsoft Natural keyboard, Philips HDMI monitor, Logitech 2.1 speakers with good power, and coloured lights to illuminate the inside of the partly transparent case. I am not anti-Apple and in fact run some Apple software such as the Safari web browser and iTunes. I have had a few goes on the Mac - however unlike everyone else in the family I don't think I have been bitten by the Mac bug. I might get a Mac mini in future but the odds are I won't. I like the versatility of swapping system parts whenever I want. The only drawback with my system just now is that it's still running XP which has memory limitations, but it will be upgraded to Windows 8 plus more memory later this year. I've considered changing to a touchscreen at the same time but probably won't because of something called Gorilla Arm!!

So, PC or a Mac, which is preferable to you?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mac hands down for me now. total Apple convert got all my apple devices bar the computer I am throwing all my windows machines out my windows for good.

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

PC for me all day long. Two of my daughters have Apple laptops and I can`t stand them. Whenever I use them I just want to throw it out of the window. Horrible things

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats funny ! once you get used to it you will like it.. It what you have been brought up with and habits are hard to break ..I have a bit of unix background and you can see so many unixism on the apple it easy to catch up. I don't want to sound snobby if you are slightly technical and proficient you will appreciate apple. But when I was preparing the apple app for submission for our forum the whole process was so cumbersome I was going to throw the whole thing out ..

5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I appreciate its just a case of getting used to it but I can`t be bothered when my Windows laptop does everything I ask of it and at a fraction of the price. I think they only wanted them because they were white and shiny. Having said that they both love their Apple and can easily revert back to PC or Android tablet when they come home whereas I just can`t work an Apple.

I must be getting old

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's got to be Mac. I can turn it on and it just works, unlike all previous PCs I've had. You don't need to constantly download updates to plug the latest security holes discovered that week. They are more expensive than PCs, but they are made from high quality components, whereas I don't think all PCs are.
    Coming from PCs they do take a bit of getting used to, but my grandfather had one in his eighties.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will be going mac for the sheer brilliance in photo editing and I need one to make further amendments to the AOCUK apple app.

And most important as Rob said no patches no malware virus etc .no worrying of being hacked . I don't need to rebuild my machine every three years.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I still have my windows laptop which is good for all general purpose items banking etc
    But we got an I pad when they first came out and since then we have all converted to I phones although mine is a problem at the moment. I know they can be quite expensive but are so easy to use. So if I was considering and money was no objjwct then Mac would be my choice.

9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought a Macbook Pro (CJ if you want one let me know...discount...) and initially hated it. I phoned Apple and asked them to collect it. I thought don't give up after only a few days so stuck with it and will never own a PC again now!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    its that initial learning curve which says I can't be learning all this new way of a MAC , and like Paul I too wanted to throw the towel and say where is my windows machine. If you get apple care just call them they are WICKED they will give you guides and won't get off the phone until you are happy.

Persist and you will see the beauty of it.. if patience if not one your virtues then stick to windows.LOL

Paul I love discounts I will be in touch bud.

11. gedutism Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Where do you live,I will come around :Smile::Smile::Smile:

12. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

PC for me, Apple makes very good interfaces, but as soon as you want to do something a non apple way or play that obscure file format or do a hundred other things apple has decided you can't do (possibly for good reason..) then they wind me up, nice screens though :Smile:
    but as a PC gamer I'll happily live with the MS issues..

btw the lack of malware and viruses is coming to an end..

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its true that Apple used to be very closed shop with their devices, but since they moved over to intel CPUs they have started to open up. As for viruses and malware it's true here are some around for the mac, but compared to pc based viruses I think I'm a lot safer. OSX has built in security, and if any security flaw is discovered Apple is very quick to plug the hole.

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

15. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    If money were no object, I'd probably have both and then decide over a period of time which one I preferred.

Having used both over the years I think there are pros and cons on either side. As Cliff pointed out, you can spec your PC to your needs whereas with a Mac you are far more limited. However Mac systems do tend to be far better debugged than Windows when they are released. Think back to Windows ME (giving my age away now) and more recently Vista. Both were pretty disastrous when first released and both disappeared within about 18 months. Even XP was a bit flaky when it first came out. Having said that Windows 7 is a very good, stable system as long as it's not bogged down by PC manufacturers' crappy software that nobody really needs or wants.

Macs tend to be less of a target for hackers and virus writers than PCs but are not immune to infection and with decent (and often free) security software a PC can remain as uninfected as a Mac.

One of the problems with Microsoft when they release new software is they tend to underestimate system requirements particularly in the memory department. Try running XP on 256MB RAM or Vista on 512MB.

I built my own PC and initially had it dual booting with XP and Win 7 but I haven't booted the XP partition for at least 9 months. I'm very happy with Windows 7. But for people who can't or don't want to go down the build your own route then I think most people would get more out of a Mac as an end user experience than a PC if they can get past the extra cost and initial learning curve. And if money is no object then it's just the learning curve.

Blimey, I didn't mean to go on for this long, I'd better stop writing and get on with some work.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  16. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think that's bad I remember installing windows 3 from floppies.

17. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I at least started with 3.1.. well maybe Dr Dos.. coughs

18. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember having to install DOS first. Them were the days.

I installed Windows 95 that much I can still to tis date remember the serial code for it.

138X6-OEX-0X120X4-97X51!

The X's weren't in originally.

19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember installing Windows 3 on 5 1/4" floppy disc! Those were the days.

20. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's definitely before my time Dave!