Service & Maintenance Concerto not starting after long lay up?

Discussion in 'Classics & Heritage' started by Davej5, Friday 24th Oct, 2014.

1. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Hi I have not started my Concerto for about seven months, it was running fine before, but now there is no spark. I checked the cap and rotor and noticed that the terminals were corroded so I have fitted a new cap and rotor but still no joy. Has anyone had experience of something like this? or can anyone give me any ideas what to check?

For those that have not read my project log it has a B20 VTEC running on an OBD0 ECU with matching distributor etc.

Thanks

2. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    If it's turning over with plenty of oomph, then the only thing to check is the fuel pump has current and there is fresh fuel and plugs.

Fingers crossed you get it going.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you take a sparkplug out after cranking, you should be able to smell some petrol fumes. That may help determine if it is fuel or ignition issue.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Any updates on this Dave?

5. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Not yet no, when I have free time it is raining I am waiting for both to coincide. It had a new non Honda distributor when I did the b20 build When the weather cooperates I will refit the old one and see. The fault I was trying to find when I replaced it turned out to be the ECU earth on the engine. I may look at that as well but as it has been tight all this time I don't think it could have corroded and caused a bad connection.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Should have added that I have taken a plug out to check for a spark and there isn't one.

6. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    OK sorted put the old dissy back and it started straight away. I wouldn't have thought anything could blow like that when it is just standing but it has. It may be down to the pattern distributor I put on it being rubbish.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Japanese Denso versus muck will no contest mate.