Off-Topic confused about the Serbia-Hungary "choke point"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jimjams, Thursday 17th Sep, 2015.

1. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I think it's best not to get into a debate (political or otherwise), but does anyone understand why Hungary has become the "choke point" ?

I've looked at the maps of the EU on the BBC website, and found these

_70233868_eunames. _73192546_candidates.

It seems that the migrants are coming up from Greece, where they were already in the EU. But then they cross into Macedonia and then Serbia and then (until a few days ago) into Hungary.

What was wrong with travelling up from Greece into Bulgaria and Romania and then Hungary, thereby staying within the EU ?

Or if insisting on Serbia, why not simply then accept the fence and straightaway cross west into Croatia or east into Romania ?

I just do not understand the insistence on the Serbia-Hungary border now that it has been closed.

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Good question!

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It think they go for Hungary because once you are in Hungary there is no more border controls until you come to Calais.

Some of the EU countries still have border controls between themselves like Romania-Bulgaria-Hungary or Croatia-Slovenia-Hungary.
    This way once they cross into Hungary from Serbia they can go wherever they like in Europe without being stopped or checked.
    Serbia let them go through because they know that migrants won't stay in country like Serbia.

jimjams likes this.
  4. demian New Member Getting Started

Perhaps because Romania and Bulgaria aren't Schengen countries (despite being members of the EU) and thus traversing them isn't any easier than taking the direct route through Serbia.

tumblr_msakxbCYOG1sgl0ajo1_500.

jimjams likes this.
  5. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It may sound simplistic but
    Take an axis southwest to North East. - Through Croatia and Hungary
    Hungary has the longest border for entry into and out of itself and possibly easier to cross because of its length and is consequently less controlled ie easy to move across
    Therefore possibly easier to move along a South East - north west axis into Central Europe via Hungary
    As a consequence the numbers are becoming unmanageable for Hungary and there has been little help from European Central funds or a proper coordinated approach to manage this migrant situation
    As EU politicians dither the situation will probably deteriorate Political posturing is probably involved also .

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It's a complete and utter mess borders will become fortresses over night and these people will be moved like cattle until someone say we wil have them.

7. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@Ichiban
    Spot on mate
    Total mismanagement and lack of co-ordination by EU

But where is the Global response ?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In an ideal world someone needs to get to Syria and kill the cancer that is the current incumbent president and the thugs who have a name .why on earth have those b@st@rds got a name for their group they are animals and thugs.

Why have the Arab world not helped in this crisis ?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When have those imbeciles ever done anything useful or helpful for anyone ?

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am right jack... we have oil stacked so high it will take an eternity to finish. Then we are too busy racking in the $$$ from religious pilmraimage to the holy shrine. When the oil is gone pilmarage money will more valuable.

Won't need peasants at our doors ,time is money and we are busy printing it. Meanwhile this is happening the entire royal family have placed bespoke car orders with all luxury car makers just to offset their cash piles.

jimjams likes this.
  11. demian New Member Getting Started

Because Putin and his cronies support Syria's incumbent regime, and they don't hesitate to play chicken if someone tries to rock the boat, as it were.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Scary new world order is around the corner. :SOS:
    - - - Updated - - -
    All the leaders in those respective countries know the backlash they will face if they allow mass entry they will be deposed from office overnight.

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Crikey, I went to bed early last night and today I've only just logged back in.
    Some really really interesting comments right the way through :Niceone:
    I agree with all of them as well :Smile:

In the late 80's I've been to Iraq: Baghdad and Mosul and even right up to a town on the Syrian border, got some pics, I'll have to dig them out ans scan them. Also went to Kuwait post first-Gulf-war, photos ditto.
    Also been to Saudi in the early 00's: Riyadh, Dammam, the oilfields down the east coast, and flew to more oilfields down in the empty quarter (amazing place), no photos at all though, just pictures emblazoned in my memory. Also been to Sudan, Khartoum. I've also been to Israel: Tel Aviv, Haifa, Jerusalem.
    All various work projects (different companies).

The Middle East is a truly inspirational place, so different in all respects, and each country is different. Reason I went to all those places is because when I got the opportunities, I quickly grasped them. Motivation was the film Lawrence of Arabia, which I saw at the cinema as a kid. His ideal was to try to unite the arabs, the part at the end in Damascus where they cannot run the town is indicative
    (cliched, but true).
    The problems are that before WW1, the whole area was run by the Ottomans, (except Mecca, which they could not reach). Then it was all carved up by us and the French, and the borders we imposed created the mess we are now reaping.

exec likes this.
  14. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    If I was escaping from a terrible place I would stop at the first safe place. Why risk my family.

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd want to end up somewhere I could speak the language to maximise my chances of making a better life.

16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slightly over-stated but true.
    However, Saudi is an incredibly controlled and stable country, and if they had the same level of unrest as Syria or Iraq or Libya, and if China's economy picked up again, then the oil price would go to heights never seen before. In the main, the working-class and middle-class Saudi's that I met were content. There is no alcohol (though some middle-class Saudi's have a bar in their lounge), and definitely no drugs at all. If you drive out of Riyadh at night, many youths are parked up in their cars and sitting in the sand talking. Their jokes are really funny too, I was driving along one day with 3 Saudi's in the car, and they were clearly telling one another some jokes. I picked out one word that kept cropping up and I asked them what it meant. Silence, then one of them said "penis" and I laughed, and we all laughed. If I wasn't an atheist, I'd convert to Islam and go and live there tbh.

Back to the thread, I can understand why they don't want any other arabs in their country, their culture is stable, they do not want instability. And that is the point, we created the borders nearly 100 years ago, then Bush/Blair went and created instability. The reason why Syria has been left alone by the west is because we have enough to deal with in Ukraine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    LOL but lots of Turks in Germany who have no problem speaking German. I learned German at school, it's an interesting language, less ambiguous than English

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Isn't it because of the Sunni / Shia differences?

sunni-shia-divide.

jimjams likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Some of the Arab countries have taken in the refugees, a hell of a lot more than Europe or any other place. Lebanon has around 1 million, Saudi has taken in half a million but assimilated them to their population, Iraq has taken in couple of hundreds from Syria, and Turkey whilst not an arab country of course has around 2 million. It's the smaller rich gulf countries that havent taken in much, but a place like Dubai will never in a million years, but they all donate a lot of money to refugee orgs.

The thing that needs to be understood is that a lot of the refugees want to come to Europe for different reasons, the economy and infrastructure is better so they are more likely have a better life. Also another thing is a fair amount of the people arent even refugees some are economic migrants from other places in the world.

jimjams likes this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that's a good map, I found it in google and here is the link if anyone wants to open it and zoom in
    https://thesinosaudiblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/mid-east-religion.jpg

I didn't know that Saudi had taken in that many, but I do know that whilst Saudi is majority Sunni, they also have quite a lot of Shia there (in that car incident, two were Sunni, one was Shia, and I think they prayed together)

Basically it's similar to Catholic-Protestant, and we all know how that has been going for the last 500 years.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Majority of Syrians are Sunni, the Shia's are a small minority and pretty much all live in Assad control area as they are from his tribe (Alawaite) or whatever you call it, so most refugees are Sunni's.