General Confused about wheel bearings

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Monday 23rd Mar, 2015.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi

I've got a grinding, scraping noise from the rear when turning left only so I took it to a local garage who said it was the passenger side rear wheel bearing.

Sure enough, when he spun the wheel I could clearly hear the sound that's been driving me mad.

But, I thought that if the passenger wheel bearing was bad the noise would be loud when turning right as the weight would be on the left side.

Think I just need some re-assurance.

Cheers.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Depends on what stage the bearing is at is my understanding. If its only starting to go, putting pressure on it will quiet it a bit, whereas less pressure on it makes it louder. When a bearing is properly on its way out of the door, then the more weight on it, the worse the sound gets. By turning left, you are taking pressure off the nearside. Try this, the harder you turn left, the more noise it should make.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  3. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    The noise only started about a week ago so it's just starting to go. Less pressure making it louder is what's confused me. I thought the opposite. :Smile:

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thats my understanding of how they work anyway from messing with them, I stand to be corrected if I have misled you.

5. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks Nighthawk.

6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry to hear about your rear bearing dave.

Are rear bearings a common issue on the 7th Generation? I thought the rear bearings were pretty solid and long lasting

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No they are not common, that's the first time I've heard of some failing on a 7th Generation Accord.

Superman001 and Nighthawk like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bearing on the 7th Generation is the 4th generation of bearing design on the Honda Accord. These bearing just don't due to their design, and if they did pop they would have been making a lot of noise prior to failure you may have put the bearing noise as tyre noise and ignore it. ??

9. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I thought my bearings were going too but realised it was my tyres. Ran a search on Uniroyals rainsport 2 and several people have complained about this tyre making a bearing drone type noise. When the wheels were jacked up the bearings rotated smooth with no noises at all

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Ha, typical I get hit with an uncommon failure. Hey-ho.

As long as a new bearing fixes the problem.

11. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How about your wheels? are they buckled at all? A buckled wheel is a common cause to take out a bearing over time.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'll have a look next chance I get.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wheel balancing has a lot to do with bearing failures.

14. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    You may well be right Ichiban. There has been a bit of tyre noise or what I thought was tyre noise for a while.

15. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Got a second opinion today - definitely near side wheel bearing. Part ordered.

Nighthawk and Accord_N22 like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Will you be changing it yourself Dave ?

17. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hell no. Changing a bulb is a challenge for me.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  18. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    What is it with me and wheel bearings? Front passenger side is starting to go - got it confirmed by a local garage. Not all that noisy at the moment but I could tell a noise was there so got it checked.

2 questions: how urgent is this repair in the sense of will it cause any further damage if not sorted? and will I need the wheel alignment done afterwards (Hunter)?

Cheers.

19. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    I was convinced my rear wheel bearing was shot untill I took the rear wheels off and discovered the pads were rusted in place which is also a common issue.The noise only happened when turning slighlty to the right above 60mph.