Pre-Purchase Considering legend

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by N3il123, Sunday 22nd Feb, 2015.

1. N3il123 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom N3il123 Stirling
    hi guys,

I'm new to this place.

Currently looking at getting rid of my 2007 e90 330d BMW, and looking at the legend.
    I'm looking at one for £10.5k ish, 2006, 24k miles with 5 owners, from a Honda dealer.
    I don't do that many miles any more (7-8k) and looking for reliability over everything, and won't buy another diesel...
    What's your thoughts folks, what should I look for or consider.
    I'm worried about the age and number of owners, but it looks clean. I'm going to visit next week for a drive.
    My only other option is a petrol accord ex?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks

N3il123

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Without looking in to Legend prices, that seems a lot of money for a 9 year old car even with the attractive mileage.

You can't got wrong with a Legend and they are a nice step up from the Accord.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've got to agree on the price, while the mileage is low that seems too much to ask for a car that has had 5 owners. Have you made any enquiries about it yet? Be interested to find out if the dealer has a story to tell behind the ownership "turnover", it's a bit of a red flag to me. Chances are you can get that price down below the £10k mark, but still doesn't sit right.

Speaking in general, the Legend is a very reliable car, we see a few electronic niggles every now and again but no major concerns at all. A petrol 2.4 Accord would also serve you well, ultra reliable, the ADAS model comes with plenty of toys similar to the Legend. I'd suggest test driving both and seeing how you feel they compare.

Lastly, welcome to the club :Smile:

4. N3il123 New Member Getting Started

I have only contacted the garage tonight via email.
    Need to go view next week.
    I've also seen a '10 plate accord 2.0 EX for £11k. Can't find the 2.4 anywhere. Need to test drive both.
    Just looking for something reliable for the next few years.
    I think the legend I've seen should be sub £10k, as my brother in law bought his last month '06, £7.5k with 47k on the clock from Honda.
    Just wanting to make sure I'm not buying a dog. Already have one of those and its German and I know the service department very very well!

I had a diesel Civic before, and it didn't last well. Think I'll stick to petrols these days as when they go wrong, it's slightly less expensive!

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The 2.4 8th Gens are extremely rare, at times you find 2-4 for sale at once, other times a couple of weeks go by without one - just keep your eyes peeled. It took me a couple of months to find my current Accord, right price, history and the rest. The only common 2.4s are the Pre-Facelift 7th Generation.

The price your brother bought at seems fair, the one you're considering seems over-priced to me.

You won't go wrong with a petrol Honda, the diesels are less reliable but still very good. The ones to stay clear off are the early I-CTDI, while we have many happy owners with zero issues, they are the ones where the big issues do strike more often.

6. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Even though the Honda Legend is nice car I think the asking price of it is on the high side, 5 owners I would not put you off if you intend to buy and keep the car. I think the main reason why so many Legends have a lot of previous owner is that so many buyer get the car without doing their research and what involved to maintain the car.
    Being a Honda Legend owner for now ( as I have one for sale at we speak ) I can say without question that it is Ultra reliable car it has always put a smile on my face every time I drive it since ownership the only issue was the alternator which was very easy to replace otherwise it has never let me down.
    If you do intend to buy a Honda Legend I would advise that you really take your time to get the right one , take your time to look over every single gadget and button to see if it is perfect working order the car has so many features and so much technology that it will take you a long time to test each one to see if it works.
    A good service record is a must and a good quality oils used is also needed to keep the car running smooth , things to look out for if you test drive it is the brakes system it should be buttery smooth being a heavy and powerful car the discs rotors, brake pads and tires tend to wear down fast so check if they are in good condition. Other things to check is the HID ballast there should be no flickering at all , a nice example of a Legend will also drive very smooth without any knocks or rattles if it does walk away, also lift the bonnet up when the car is running and listen out for the alternator it should be whisper quiet no whistling or whining noise should be present

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland Richard Belfast
    Im not overly fimiliar with the legend altho the price does seem overly high, as said above a simplier 2.4 accord would serve the same purpose and youd still look a legend driving one! :Grin:

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Never driven a Legend but I think I need to get my hands on one just for the experience of it.

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A Legend is streets ahead of a an Accord to drive sorry guys.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also, if you're buying a Legend I would hold out for one with 18" Wheels and CMBS LKAS etc.

12. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Regardless of 17" or 18" the ride quality will be so comfortable , been driving all winter on 18" and recently put back the 17" and the quality of drive is best described as magic carpet feel :Smile:

13. N3il123 New Member Getting Started

Thanks guys.
    I'm going to drive it at the weekend.
    Think it's still over priced. I saw the one in Bracknell, which I'll mention to the car salesman...
    I'll let you know how I get on...

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Look forward to hearing your verdict @N3il123