Off-Topic Contactless Card Payment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Friday 6th Feb, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I for one do not like this payment method its far to easy to circumvent this and make low level purchases repeatedly . I am asking my issuers to remove this feature.

What are your thoughts?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I refused my card as people can clone it by standing near you with the right equipment

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's rung them all and they are issuing new cards without this option.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Don't you have to opt-in for a contact-less card or do they just send you one anyway ?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They send you the contactless card without your consent or when you request a new card. You have to request contactless to be taken off, its this covertly insistence which I hate with the passion.

It's like HUK converting customer to Swindon made cars..

6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to be the elephant in the room and say that I use mine all the time...!

I think as long as you've got some common sense and look around you before you use your card (contactless or chip and PIN) you'll be OK. I'm still amazed by the number of people I stand behind in queues that type their PINs into the keypads without covering them up.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd say about half my cards are contactless, and I keep meaning to get them reissued too. I've never once used the feature, and it's been proven insecure time and time again.

@Ichiban remember when we were in the pub up near mine in Liverpool and the bartender was telling us about all the accidental charges they kept issuing at the bar?

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol never an opportunity missed!

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I use mine daily with no issues so far. Though I can imagine one would have to exercise more caution at a bar.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I don't understand why it is necessary - seems to be a technical solution because it CAN be done, rather than because it NEEDS to be done. Chip & Pin was (and remains) fine, and not that much slower.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Chip and pin can often be faster than cash in the supermarkets! Lol

12. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    me no likey

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Me neither :thumbdown:

14. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    After reading this im strarting to get mega paranoid and think it will be a good idea to order a new card from Lloyds.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    London users are they biggest users of this technology as the entire city is based on not speaking to people and no one has time. So for a Londner this is best thing since sliced bread, while the rest of the nation has the time and effort not to be so wired up all the time.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yup they sure did try had an extra 150 quid in the till and no sale of products some bloke standing next to the machine stood up having his pints got done for that.