Suspension, Steering and Brakes Control arms bushes and discs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by demon-knight, Wednesday 13th Feb, 2013.

1. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just had my car in for an oil change and a once over and I got the call to pick it up, and the "oh and it needs this and this etc"
    Basically the car needs new control arms, bushes and in a few thousand miles new discs and pads.

I was quoted £292 :Aghast: for control arms and bushes all fitted, is that an OK price?

Anyone know a rough price for discs and pads all round? The back ones don't really need doing just yet but I figured I might as well do them as a set then its all done.

Other than that the car will be coming up to its 75k service in June'ish time, fluids etc, is there anything I need to lookout for other than a massive bill?

Also need to mention that this wasnt a main dealer but a decent garage non the less

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    get a price from HH on parts and fitted buddy that is the yardstick to measure by.

3. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Was planning on doing that when they open tomorrow, I was looking to see if anyone else has had it done in the past or has experience of it.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The garage you got the quote off will they be using genuine Honda parts? we all know all garages have margins in parts too.. an independent will try to use grey market parts to get more profit. genuine parts are far superior IMHO.

I had them replaced ages ago when I had my 2.0 tourer. IIRC both control arm bushes with labour was £190.. but don't quote me on it.

5. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Front pads and discs on a '99 V6 were just over 120 from HH to give you a guide till the morn.
    Not casting garages in a bad light but have you had a good look/wiggle yourself?

6. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Havent had a chance to wiggle them yet but its on my list for later. Am usually alright with what the garage says and have been using them over the years with other cars but something is just making me question it this time.

Managed to get a good look at the discs last night and the front drivers looks as if it is scored quite badly as it has a single groove all the way round it.

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Compliance bushes in lower control arm needing replacement is normal, costs about £100 a side at Honda, both upper arms going together seems a bit more unusual, but if they've gone they've gone, try wiggling the upper ball joints to check.

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Discs and Pads front genuine about £135. Discs and Pads rear non genuine from Eurocarparts cost me £42. I fitted them myself.

9. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have had a good look and they don't wiggle loads but there is still some amount of play in them the bushes are almost gone they are worn to bits.

Was speaking to the inlaws (outlaws today) and they are going to put me in touch with a friend of theirs that works for the police in the vehicle maintenance section and he is going to have a look over it for me in his private garage and if he has time do the work for me and also show me.

Really looking forward to learning some new stuff. :Smile:

Thanks for all the pricing on the discs and pads everyone, going to get genuine parts as they are so highly recommended on forum