Engine & Gearbox cool leavel rises in expansion bottle

Discussion in '1st Generation (2000-2006)' started by andy83, Friday 19th Aug, 2016.

1. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hi all quick question done coolant change on the stream when car been running and got warm coolant rises in expansion bottle above the max but when cold sits on max car seams to run ok and temp gague stays at normal so just wondering if ok.
    thanks
    andy

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs but Have you bled out the air properly?
    Usually it involves pulling the top radiator hose off and point it up and pour coolant into it with rad cap off and car off obviously.
    Also need to put the heater on full and run it so any air trapped in heater matrix escapes.

3. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi mate had bled it but might need to do it again I sopose ever time it goes cold again leavel goes back down I had heater up full when bled it and heater dose get hot.
    thanks
    andy

4. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

problem sorted for now so all looks good...

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its normal for the coolant level to increase in the expansion tank. Nothing to worry about

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yep, it's perfectly normal and indeed this is why its called an "expansion tank", when the coolant is hot its expands and gets pushed into the expansion tank. When the engine becomes cold, the coolant gets sucked back into the cooling system.

So nothing to worry about here.

andy83, 2.4 8thGen and Nighthawk like this.
  7. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thank you mate I was worried at first done wrong