Guides coolant change 6th Generation

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by carrind, Monday 18th Mar, 2013.

1. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok changing coolant but unsure on getting air or the system. Looking online there is some sort of coolant bleed screw for this, but i cannot locate it. So is it a case of running the engine with the red cap off, topping up as and when?
    Is there any easy or more complete way of emptying the coolant other than the rad bleed screw, as i always find there is always a large amount on the cooling system (heater matrix i guess).
    And finally what coolant, pink green blue, silicon free, is there any special type?

2. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not sure where the bleedscrew is, its usually on the pipework going to the heater matrix, Personally I would empty the system by removing the bottom hose on the rad, or if they're is a drain bolt. I wasint sure which coolant to use so to be on the safe side I bought gen Honda ready mixed coolant from my local dealers, its a tenner a litre though, That was blue if that's any help

3. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the fast response, will give the dealer a call. Will just use the drain bolt on the rad then, and take my time with the re fill. Thanks again.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There will be a drain plug on the rad , if your rad genuine to the car or refurb'd.?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is what it looks like on a 7th Generation

Look for a small circular cut out

Raddrainplug.

6. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi yea genuine rad i believe, found the drain plug. Do u know the best way to refill and get the air out, is there actually a bleed screw (seen on YouTube vids, but they are all american cars). Any idea on the type of coolant, is there ant special requirments, i know some cars have aluminuim blocks etc don't know about Honda's.

7. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think you will be fine with the blue stuff, Or if you want the genuine Honda coolant it'Type-S 2

8. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just picked up coolant from dealer, £19, very reasonable. But off subject after a fluids discussion with the parts department, 3 different dealers have recommended 3 different grades of oil 0-30, 5-30 and now 10-40. Think i will go for the 5-40 recommended on this forum.

9. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I've been advised on 5w 40 aswell, 10w 40 would be ok aswell, I would have thought the slightly thinner 5w 40 would be better for cold starts as warmed up they are the same thickness

10. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Coolant change done last night, not sure on the result though. Emptied and re filled the reservoir, and rad. Run car with the rad cap off to let any air out, but level didn't change and the fans didn't cut in, temp on dash held at a under half way. So drove the car, and will check the level this morning.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is no bleeder on the 6th Generation so leaving the cap lose to bleed is acceptable.Additionally for the next time remove the drain bolt on the cylinder block next to the oil filter as shown here.

6th gen accord block drain nut.JPG

Apply liquid(Honda bond) gasket to the drain bolt threads, then reinstall the bolt with a new washer and tighten it securely.Tighten the radiator drain plug securely.

This should ensure you will get the residual out of the block.

13. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hey thanks for the info, its a great help. Also that coolant bleed funnel, looks great but is it US only? can't seem to find anything UK.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries bud, yeah I bought that from ebay and it was from a US seller and I just wanted it so I bought it.

I doubt you will be able to find a UK seller for that funnel.