Guides Coolant change 7th Generation i-CDTI

Accord 03-08 i-CDTI, N22A

1. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 8th Mar, 2014
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's reassuring to know that this is the procedure the professionals at Holdcroft Honda use.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was struggling to keep up taking photographs as they were jumping between different tasks. Very quick, thorough and professional.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Handy Tip

just a few tips when you are bleeding the system the coolant residue and splatter around the engine needs to be thoroughly cleaned. if that isn't cleaned the gylcol within he coolant starts to smell entering the cabin making the cockpit a bit smelly. So wash the engine after you have finished or use plenty of carb cleaner wha soft brush to scrub that area. This is applicable to all Honda whilst bleeding the system. There is no need to remove the drain plug completely from the radator its like a tap when unscrewing the drilled hole will line up with the waste outlet. There is no need to change the o ring , if you remove the o ring you will need to replace it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul uploads the pictures of the coolant top pipe to the expansion header, and the other IMRC pictures on another threads ... Trust me guys this is a top tip.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will do CJ!

7. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The service book for my 2006 petrol Accord (face lift version) says to replace the coolant every 10 years / 120000 miles and not 5 years / 62500 miles as stated in the guide. I assume the 5 year replacement cycle only applies to diesel engines?

How critical is replacing the coolant at 10 years since I've never had to top up the coolant in all this time?

8. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wahab Ish hemel hempstead
    Hi Guys,

Just first to appreciate how great it is to have this guide up on HK to help other users. Thanks

I saw you mentioned @ 7 step; opening an overflow bolt behind the engine block accessing it from under the car. I don't understand what was the point of opening that, That was a considerable size bolt of around 18mm. Shall that be opened fully or just loosen it.

Also how much quantity did you use for refil. I bought 5l bottle would that be not enough? As i poured 5l the bleed nipple didn't show any sign of coolant coming out it was dry as bone.

Please advise...

9. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Bit confused with frequency this job needs to be done for the I-CTDI's. The guide states it should be changed every 62,500 miles or 5 years. My service book (as does a sticker under the bonnet) says the first change is due at 62,500 miles, and then subsequent changes every 37,500 miles or every 3 years thereafter.

Totally get the importance of changing it, could just do with clarification on how often it needs doing, as mine may be due soon, or not, depending on what's right.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks..:crazyeyes:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can anyone answer the above two queries ? As you all know diesels aren't my thing :Tongue:
    @Evangelists

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Diesel combustion gases do leak into the coolant at a higher rate than petrol due to the high compression ratio , since diesel has sulphur the coolant become acidic and starts to attack the internals so that is why you have quicker coolant changes. As the engine gets older the head gasket leaks combustion gasses into the coolant in small doses . The head gasket will be fine and it won't fail .

AccordMavman and Harvey like this.
  12. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Thanks for clarifying this CJ, I will change it at her next service then. It's clearly such an easy and cheap job to do, I'll do it at every big service from now on. I honestly don't get why this job gets overlooked so often when the benefits are so obvious, but there it is!

Let's just say I've learnt from other people's short sightedness when it comes to car maintenance, which is ultimately what brought me here in the first place! Appreciate your response and advice, as always...:Smile:

Ichiban likes this.