Accord/7th Gen Coolant change

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by Kris81, Wednesday 2nd Dec, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'll be doing a coolant change soon on my CL9, question is do we have a set period we have to change the water pump like you do/would when changing the cambelt on other cars?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the K Series water pump is external to the engine, there's no need to change it unless it develops an issue.

Kris81 likes this.
  3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'll be doing this today, just looked for a 'how to' on the forum but I think it was just the diesel engines kept coming up. Does the petrol have a bleed nipple on the block aswell?
    Or can I just fill with expansion tank and radiator caps off?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's no bleed nipple on the block for K series.

The drain plug is at the bottom of the rad, roughly half way along. Once fully drained though it can be a little tricky to get all air out of the system after refilling.

Filling through the radiator seems to make this worse. I've had some really bad air locks in the water pump, so what I tend to do is take the top radiator hose off, hold it high as possible and fill by slowly pouring coolant into this pipe. With the pipe being really high and the water going directly into the engine block, this helps avoid air locks in the water pump.

If you do end up getting an airlock in the water pump it will result in a very high pitch squeal as the pump is basically running dry and not actually circulating any water, the way to get rid of this is to get the car up a sharp incline.

An airlock in the water pump is probably a rare occurrence but thought I'd mention how to avoid as it is a real PITA to get rid of if you do get it.

5. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cheers speedy.