Engine & Gearbox Coolant reservoir cap - how important?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by buzzbee, Monday 17th Aug, 2015.

1. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Buzz Berkshire, UK
    I opened my bonnet last night and found that I had no cap on my coolant reservoir. I can only assume that when I checked it last week, I forgot to put the cap back on and when I drove away, it dropped through the engine and has gone

I checked the coolant level, which was fine and there has been no overheating, but I was wondering if driving without it might have done any damage

It's noticeable that when the cap goes on, it forms an air-tight seal, so I wondered if the coolant system needed this.

Also - slightly silly question. Are the caps a standard size? Do most cars have the same cap? I'm just wondering if I can just pick one up at a local auto factors or if I need to contact a dealer

Ta

2. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    It's best get one on ASAP as it builds pressure in the system which alters the boiling point thus alter when the thermostat kicks in, so you could over heat without it. No unfortunately they come in all shapes and sizes but should easy enough to replace.

buzzbee likes this.
  3. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Bones

Bones126 likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you had the cover off under the engine? The cap may still be there.

5. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nah. I've had a look tough the engine and can't see it. I'm gonna get a new one this afternoon for £11

Nels likes this.