Coolant Temperature - Fan Behaviour

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by legend-ary, Thursday 1st Sep, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Does anyone know at what coolant temperature the radiator fan comes on? Torque app was indicating 87° - 88° yet still no fan.. I know it does work when I switch on the AC but was wondering whats the threshold.

Anyone with access to 'specs' or service manual?
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I's say it's 90 but it need not be precise.
  3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I'm not positive, but I think torque reads the engine management sensor in the head and not the sensor in the bottom of the radiator for the fan. If it doesn't stabilize around the mid 80's I might look into replacing the thermostat as it could be slow in opening and letting in the cool fluid out of the radiator.

In my experience thermostats seem to really only function properly for about 10 years and I tend to replace them around that time while changing antifreeze. On our fit the only symptom of early trouble was the engine taking a little longer to heat than we were used to in Hondas. No real issues it still opened and closed but was probably leaking slightly, replacement has it warming up much faster. If it were me driving it I probably wouldn't have noticed but Mrs. JD is cold most of the time and likes to have full heat on as soon as possible and I can claim my kudos for helping to save a little bit of fuel.