HVAC Correct Behavior on aircon?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mstetter, Sunday 1st Feb, 2015.

1. mstetter New Member Getting Started

Hi all

When there i Cold outside my aircon keeps running. On most cars i know the compressor stops running under xx degrees celsius outside.

Is it normal Behavior on a Accord 2011 2.0 Lifestyle Tourer? If yes - is it possible to change the Behavior?

Regards Mads

2. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Not 100% on your, model, but most honda cars default to A/C on when you press certain buttons, like windscreen demist or auto for models with climate control

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    As Moob says: it's very normal for the airco to keep on running if you pressed the button for windscreen demist. In auto it will also keep on running, but intermittent.
    If you want to change this behavior: switching off the airco is the only option. But for safety reasons: it will anyhow be switched on when demisting.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its not arircon it climate control and the 8th Generation HVAC system is really advance it looks at the sun position to direct cooling or heating to each part of the car,

5. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Is this actually true!? Or am I just being a little gullable?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fact.

7. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Hmmmm :Wassat:

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    But only on the models with integrated sat nav, no?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Sunlight Sensor (A) is also on the CU1 with and without the sat nav, do you have a one in the middle of the dash?

Sunlightsensorcu1hkhvac.PNG

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yeah, I know, but the position of the sun is only known by the models with integrated sat nav. And only in those models the system adapts to the position of the sun and not only the intensity that's given by the sensor. Am I wrong in this?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah I see where you coming from the sat nav and GPS will give the car an accurate positioning of the sun.

i-DSI likes this.
  12. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Well, I've learnt something for sure!

13. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Sorry to go off on a tangent - but what exactly does the 'Auto' mode do. I've always wondered.

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It definitely works mate. I admit I was a little sceptical at first but on really hot sunny days you can catch the system shifting cooling to the relevant site of the car. Think it's only on ES GT, EX and Type-S models though with Advanced Nav Pack.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    It keeps the set temperature, very stable...
    When starting on a cold, freezing morning or on a hot summer day the auto function will do all possible to reach the desired temp ASAP. It will even automaticaly go to recirculation mode when needed to reach quicker the temp you want (hot summer days).

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Auto switches between vents to regulate the set temperature within a certain tolerance of course.

It also kicks A/C in and out to regulate the humidity level in the cabin.

It's a common misconception that aircon only cools. Not saying that you have this misconception but working in an open plan office it's amazing how many arguments over the temperature setting are solved if you use aircon and temperature control as it's designed to be used.

Aircon grand in the winter or in rain to keep the windows demisted. If it's snowy or wet weather it's also great for drying carpets out in the foot wells.

A handy little Aircon tip:

At the end of the day when you're parking up for overnight always switch A/C off and let the fan run for a coupe of minutes (I find driving through the estate to my house is sufficient)

This purges the system of any condensate build up in the vent pipes and, yes it won't stop it, but helps keep nasty aircon smells away for longer.
    - - - Updated - - -
    On a cold morning switch Auto on. You'll see it is directing air via windscreen demist and floor vents.

Once the engine warms up it goes on to floor vents and dash side vents to heat the cabin.

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    John Dickson likes this.