Guides Correct Jacking Points

Accord 03-08

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK

Attached Files:

hondream and edj777 like this.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good advice there.

A set of axle stands can be hand for a very reasonable amount and could easily save your life and prevent a car coming down on top of you when working underneath. I never go under without an axle stand and always use my trolley jack. Scossor jacks are ok in an emergency for changing a wheel at the side of the road but I just don't trust them.

hondream likes this.
  3. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Great write up Cliff. Really useful and super important info here, particularly from the personal safety aspect and the avoidance of trashing the underside of your car by putting a jack in the wrong place.

One question. I have a 2-ton Halfords trolley jack and it really isn't up to the job of lifting the whole of the front. It was struggling by the time the tyres were 1/2" off the ground. It will do one corner OK, but not the whole front. What rating of jack would you recommend for this approach?

Cheers

Richard

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Richard if your Jack is struggling to lift it could be two things the seal on the hydraulic ram is on it way out and is taking in air , or the jack is low on Hydraulic fluid.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  5. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Thanks for your kind comments Ricky.

In terms of jacks I think the higher the better, although that can mean they have a much bigger footprint on your garage floor! I opted for the Clarke CTJ2GLC which has more than enough lift capacity to raise the Accord.

6. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Thanks for your reply. My jack is only a couple of years old and hasn't had a great deal of use. It gets harder and harder to push the lever down as it gets higher, to the point where it feels like something is going to break or the bar is going to bend if I keep going. If the seals are weak wouldn't it keep pumping but not go any higher?

I'm sure it is not working as it should but it was only about £35 so I may just bin it and get something that's a bit more heavy duty. You can see the Halfords one here:

Halfords | Halfords 2 Tonne Trolley Jack & Case.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  7. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Thanks for the info Cliff. My jack looks pretty weedy compared to yours. I may just bite the bullet (again) and spend some more money. It's an expensive business this motoring lark.

8. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Yes there is a bit of initial outlay cost sometimes but in the long run it saves a lot and you know the job gets done exactly as you want it.

It's worth having the smaller jack as well...I find my old one still comes in handy occasionally.

The black plastic twist handle on the top of my large jack broke so I replaced it with a small pair of molegrips as a permanent fixture :Whistle:

9. altoricky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    You're absolutely right of course Cliff. You do tend to get what you pay for where tools are concerned and having the right tool for the job generally makes life easier. It's always worth shopping around to try and get the best price but, at the end of the day, having the right tool for the job usually means job done quicker and less chance of disaster.

Cheers

10. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I saw the link on jacking points, but it refered to the use of the rear towering eye to 7th Generation cars, not sure if it is suitable to use on the 6th Generation.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How else would you Jack up the car without using the rear sill points?

12. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't know how else u would jack up the car with out using the rear sills, that's why i asked, because i was unsure. In the post it didn't state a rear central jack point for the 6th Generation, only for the 7th, which was backed up with the great pics.

Sorry for being confused, it was obvious that method is the same on both cars, i just missed it. I will be sure not to ask questions in the future, or at least ask in a different manner.
    But i don't think i deserved having a question answered with a question. I am a newbie here.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't think the question was asked in that tone? Was it

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    main guide pictures inserted correctly.

15. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    Hi guys.

Just to share my experience of using a compact jack. There are pros and cons of using compact jack. The main reasons why I bought a compact jack are as follows

PROS:
    1. It is cheaper (1/3rd of the price of a workshop jack)
    2. It is lighter and more portable. The workshop standard jack is very heavy, and if i were to purchase that, i will have to leave it outside - adding more to the already cluttered space in my porch

And the CONS:
    1. The maximum jacking height/clearance is definitely less than that of the standard workshop jack
    2. I do have a fear that it could malfunction while i am trying to fit a jackstand.

Due to the maximum height, in order for me to fit a jack stand below my car, I have to prop the jack plate with something else so that I can get a higher lift. And my jack stand normal height is higher than the ground clearance of my car, so it will take a bit of an effort to fit it below.

fZraMBa.

The maximum lift height when i tried to jack the front bit. While the tires are above ground, it leave you only a small amount of space between the wheels and ground. And using the jack here will still not allow me to put a jack stand on the side of the car as the lift height is still not enough for the jackstand to be placed below the car.

kGVny8n.

See, the jack is already at its limit and i can't even fit the jack stand below my car! Well, i could, but i have to remove the jack (or turn it sideways) so that the legs of the jackstand will not be blocked. As it is, the jack is blocking the jack stand from being placed.

2XrIc3n.

So my solution. Put a sturdy metal above the jack to increase the lift height. BUT it is still a struggle to put the jackstand as the jack is still getting in the way of the legs of the jackstand.

YAmIrLP.

Anyhow, since it my first experience of using a jack and jackstand, it gives me some "lessons learned" . I guess when I have a proper garage to store car stuff, i'll definitely purchase a proper jack. This compact one isn't that good.

Still i have a question:
    Anyone knows what this protruding metal underneath the car is for (and not covered by the plastic bit)? Is it suitable to be used as a jacking spot?

Ve23tcv.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It is a jack point however I would only recommend using that if that hook sits nice and securely on the jacks top part.

To get extra lifting height with the jack you have got you could pre-jack the car using the scissor jack that comes with the car and then place your new compact jack on top of a block of wood, slide it under the car and jack up the chassis rail. You may want to place a small block of wood on top of the jack as well to spread the load a little.

legend-ary and mustnap like this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You could get a high lift jack and use the front jacking point on the cross member.negate the ue of wood or props to get extra lift.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That would be the safer option but they do cost around £100+, so some people may not deem it a worthy purchase if they aren't using it frequently.