Service & Maintenance Corroded airbox screws

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Superman001, Thursday 19th Feb, 2015.

1. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Just thought as I had the week off I would get a bit of maintenance on the cars done and thought id change the air filter on the CL7 today but nothing is going to plan this week.

The screws to the airbox lid are totally corroded and started to disintegrate when I tried to undo them. So despite having full Honda service history when I bought the car last month that doesn't bode well for Honda as it shows the air filter doesn't get checked because even if the filter didn't need changing they would have noticed that the screws were badly corroded and replaced them.

Sorry for the rant, any suggestions on how I should approach the removal of the screws would be more than welcome.

2. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Honda won't replace the screws on a service mate, they may advise the customer that they're starting to get rusty (beyond general surface rust), but it's down to the owner whether they get it sorted or not.

For the parts, that's an odd one it's possible one is standard steel bolts and the other zinc plated. @Pottermus might know more on this.

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd write to Honda and complain about it.

Otherwise I'd order 90091-P36-000, as it's cheaper than the other and does the same job.

5. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Leo thought that might be the case. After being confused by the 2 part numbers on Lings website I checked my local stealership Phoenix Honda in Paisley and had a quick online chat with them and they got someone from the parts department to call me and they confirmed that they only had the one part number which eliminates the confusion.

Just missed the deadline to order for tomorrow but they said I should be able to collect Saturday AM.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also Leo I can totally believe that if Honda advised that the screws needed replacing that the previous owner would have ignored this as the car had 2 rear budget mismatched tyres until I replaced them yesterday with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Fair play mate, that ends that then :Smile:

Well to be honest, I doubt Honda would comment on rusty bolts on a 10 year old car anyway, unless they're really bad to the point they can't be used any more - cosmetic things don't tend to be picked up on.

Good choice on the tyre front!

7. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I have heard good things about the Pilot Sport 3's and feel due to the softer compound they would be better on the rear as being on the non driven wheels they will last a bit longer and should reduce the risk of any lift-off oversteer due to increased grip levels. The Pirelli's on the front are ok and have about 6.5mm of tread so they must have been nearly new when I got the car.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm someone who only ever has the same tyres on all 4 wheels, it's the most balanced approach in my opinion - mismatched tyres between the axles upset the handling as one will be more grippy than the other, and have different characteristics when it comes to braking etc. Don't get me wrong, not the end of the world kinda difference, but just a personal preference.

I also rotate my tyres so that I always have the most meat on the front as that's where I need the traction. But if you're looking to change the front to Pilot Sport 3 in the end, then I guess it does make sense getting the Pirellis worn down first.

Superman001 likes this.
  9. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I feel like an idiot sometimes as I was thinking to myself how am I going to remove the screws to the airbox lid without drilling them out but then realised that a socket can be used to undo them.

Here you can see how corroded they were and the screw head which was totally ruined when I attempted using a screwdriver on it.
    scr_zpscvxz2ugy.

Thats the new K&N on top.
    old_zpskjqvlwnh.

You can see that the old filter was at least a genuine Toyo Roki filter.
    fil_zpsc7ihgrkp.

Not the dirtiest filter I have seen but that definitely wasn't changed at the last service.
    dr_zpsdmkveefk.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We all have plenty of those moments, I forgot there was even screw-heads on them :Laughing:

Definitely seen better days, you probably would have done well to stick a bit of penetrating oil on them.

Not terrible, looks like it could have skipped a service but I've seen them like that after 10,000 miles - they always get grimy most in winter.

Superman001 likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A lot of people totally neglect their engine bay. If engine bays aren't cleaned, rust is inevitable.

Also depending on locality of where the car has spent it's life it may suffer excess rust from this.

Your airbox bolts don't actually too bad, as you say a socket removes them no problem.

I would apply some penetration fluid whilst putting them back in.

Superman001 likes this.