General Corrosion

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 22nd Jul, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Damn you corrosion! CR-V needed new discs at front as they were pretty thin, nearside no problem with some gentle persuasion but the offside retainer screws broke my impact driver!

Had it replaced as it's a lifetime warranty and then the damn screw head sheared with the new impact driver and the other screw started to deform.

Here they are just before the one on the left sheared.

DSC_0045.JPG

2. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Drill them out and if you have the tools you can rethread it after.

But if not I wouldn't worry about them as once the wheel is done up with 5 nuts the screws don't do anything

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    daymn.. !

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was thinking about it but didn't have replacement screws. Besides if they are that stuck they may not drill out unless I have access to heat which I don't and I'd end up having to cut new threads etc. Decided to just book it in, for the sake of an hours labour it's less hassle.

5. n13ldo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom n13ldo Glasgow
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They aren't totally damaged, a different sized bit and another go with an impact driver will have them out.

Sometimes these screws seem to be stuck solid but then a couple of good blows of the impact driver and they come flying out.

Ichiban and Nighthawk like this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That was before I attacked it with the impact driver and sheared the head from the left one! Lol Still, it was the original discs so expected I guess.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use a punch and give them a sharp blow with a hammer and it loosens it up. Then hit with the impact driver and it lose.

k20a3 likes this.
  9. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I have a set of screw drivers where the metal shaft protrudes from the handle in the form of a 14mm bolt shaft. I put the driver end onto the screw and give the shaft end a few very hard taps with a hammer head on. It doesn't damage the screw and hasn't failed to loosen one yet!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I must have got unlucky because these screws were getting a proper whack, penetrating oil and cursing!

11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Sounds like you're going to be drilling them out. I've replaced mine with stainless steel ones and put some anti-seize on the threads.