Engine & Gearbox Could it be Timing Chain noise?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kanone, Wednesday 6th Jun, 2012.

1. Kanone New Member Getting Started

Hi All
    Bought my 2004/54 SE December 2006. Driving it home I noticed a slight but constant rattle type noise coming from the Engine.
    Only happens when the car is in gear and the clutch is up. Depress the clutch or take it out of gear (coast) and the noise stops immediately.
    As it was still in Warranty I took it to my local Honda dealership. They looked at various possibilities, exhaust joints, gearbox, clutch, still the noise persisted. Have to say, both the lead mechanic and the service manager agreed they could hear it, but had run out of things to check.
    Eventually a Technician from Slough came out and tried the car his verdict was: The noise is a feature of the car and is there by design intent. That said, he asked would I like to try another Accord, same model, year and mileage. I didn't get off the site, didn't need to soon as I pulled away, there it was, exactly the same annoying noise.
    Still got the car, I really like Honda, had a Prelude before the Accord. No intention of getting rid.
    So to my question could this slight hissing/rattley/tap running type noise be caused by the timing chain when it's under load? If it could, how can that be checked?

Cheers in advance.

Ray R
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC. I have never come across this sort of noise.

The usual suspects for noise on petrol accord are
    Water pump very rare
    cultch release bearing
    engine belt tensioner which is rare too.

Other than that if the engine has been neglected not serviced regularly then the noise can be a mechanical related.

All petrol engine make sewing machine noise with the fuel injectors contributing the highest percentage.I can't add further to this without looking at the car.if a Honda DTS engineer has already visited then that's final really.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    With the car stationary, in neutral and clutch up, listen for the sound, now dip the clutch. If the noise goes away then thats your cultch release bearing.
  4. Kanone New Member Getting Started

Think you may have hit the nail squarely on the head. I could never figure a way to accurately describe the noise to anyone else. Sewing Machine noise just about sums it up. Thanks a lot, I can now drive around in the knowledge that this a feature of all petrol Accords, not just mine. By the way it has never missed a service.
    Once again cheers, most grateful to you.
  5. Kanone New Member Getting Started

Engine needs to be under load. In Gear, if you see what I mean.
    Have another reply pointing out all Petrol Accords make a Sewing machine type noise. Think this might just be it.
    Thanks for taking the time.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What grade of oil are you using on your car, try 5w-40 and see that brings you piece of mind.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Kanone I suppose this is still the same on your car you still enjoying the car.