General Counterfeit Airbags

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Monday 29th Sep, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, I found this rather interesting. It is a documentary on the rise of cheap, counterfeit parts due to ebay etc which are subsequently fitted to individuals cars. Completely coincidentally, the company helping with the documentary and showing the difference between counterfeit airbags and genuine ones is HUK so I thought I would put it in here for a bit of a discussion.

Must say, I love the watermelon test

In my opinion, this documentary hammers the point home why you should not try to skimp on certain areas of your car when servicing it (brakes for example which are mentioned in here with fake discs). The saving vs the risk you are putting yourself, your loved ones and innocent members of the public under is quite simply not worth it.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember watching this around a year or so ago. I'm not particularly surprised that there are counterfeits available but as long as people buy from reputable suppliers then all should be well. Buying parts on eBay is definitely something you have to be careful with, but even then I've bought my braking components as dead stock from a Honda dealership so it all depends on the seller.

Of all the fakes, I'd say the alloys scare me the most as they're very hard to distinguish. At least with airbags most people would get them fixed by the insurance companies in the first place who would buy genuine components from trusted suppliers.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just watched it, there's a big lesson in one place not to skimp.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That airbag bit is scary, especially the exploding one. I think I'd rather my dome smashed off the steering wheel instead!

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    What really sucks is that you slam on brakes to avoid a crash, your discs shatter as per that vid, causing you to actually hit the object you were trying to avoid which then deploys the defective airbag which just about takes your head off.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

With components like this, you really have to get them from a reliable source. Since we get such a good price from HH, why go anywhere else?