General Couple of new owner questions 03 tourer

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Justin75, Wednesday 10th Feb, 2016.

1. Justin75 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom justin sydenham
    Hi everyone.
    I've just bid and won a 2003 accord tourer auto with 118k on it.
    I'm collecting it on Saturday and as yet I haven't paid any money.
    I'm 40 and have had around 20 2nd hand cars and have only been burnt a few times.
    I currently have a diesel avensis and a subaru impreza.
    The diesel avensis 2001 is at the end of its life and the accord is taking its place.
    I'm a carpenter and will basically using the car as a daily grind to and from work carrying tools and children at the weekend.
    My questions are what should I look for in the auto honda?
    And also in advance if I do get it,how easy or viable is it too change the headunit to my aftermarket one that I have including subwoofer, amps and component speakers.
    It has the sat nav.
    Not sure if it's the exec model or not.
    It has heated leather seats and sunroof and dual climate.
    My only real concern is the gearbox that has done 118K.
    I've had most makes of car before apart from honda and vw.
    Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Cheers
    Justin

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Justin, welcome to Honda Karma.
    Honda auto gearboxes are pretty darn good, beats having to worry about DMF failures and the associated costs of repair to that

You really want to make sure it has full service history, things I an think of to be on the look out for are :-
    • Noisy timing chain
    • Noise coming from the aux belt area (alternator bearing or needs a shorter aux belt)
    • rust on rear wheel arches
    • Make sure tailgate is working properly
    • noise from drive shafts
    • signs of outside edge tyre wear on rear wheels
    • leaking exhaust manifold
    • EGR issues
    • Sat Nav DVD Drive read errors
    That's what comes to mind. If you're lucking and it's a good example it will serve you well.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello and welcome to HK @Justin75
    I think SpeedGee has covered all the points pretty well so as long as you keep these in mind you should be alright..

Good luck

4. Justin75 New Member Getting Started

Ok cheers.
    Lots to listen out for.
    What noise does a timing chain make if it's worn etc.
    Also driveshafts? I've never had a car with noisy driveshafts. Wheel bearings yes.
    I also thought the exhaust manifold was more a diesel problem?
    The owner has said there's nothing wrong with it and I won the car for 1200 pounds so there is scope to repair or replace any niggles.
    I checked the last few years of MOT online and it failed 2 years ago for both front ball joints and all four tyres so that's one wear and tear item done I suppose.
    I have used and abused my avensis for the last 5 years and it's only needed a new starter motor in all that time.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Actually one sec ... I think I assumed that as you have mentioned a diesel Avensis that you were looking for a diesel Accord.

The list needs amending then

• Noisy timing chain (well highly unlikely anyway)
    • Noise coming from the aux belt area (alternator bearing or needs a shorter aux belt)
    • rust on rear wheel arches
    • Make sure tailgate is working properly
    • noise from drive shafts[s/]
    • signs of outside edge tyre wear on rear wheels
    • leaking exhaust manifold
    • EGR issues
    • Sat Nav DVD Drive read errors
    You've got much less to worry about with a petrol Accord

6. Justin75 New Member Getting Started

. Thanks.
    I've been a bit worried about the electric tailgate because I'm a carpenter carrying tools around the tailgate is going to get used a lot and I really don't need hassle MOT being able to access the boot quickly.
    I assumed that it would be electric and mechanical but looks like mechanical from inside the car only.
    What's the failure rate for these and can I bypass the electric part.
    Cheers guys.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure on the failure rate there's only ever been a few posts I've seen about them and sometimes it's the motor/clutch or the latch unit or the control unit. I always try and use the remote to open and close the tailgate and if you close it manually never slam it as it also has a self closing latch. The gas struts can become weak mine are and have been for the last couple of years mainly in winter it doesn't quite fully open as in you can push it up a little further but it's hardly noticeable my car is an 06 and done nearly 200k miles and was a rep mobile so probably had loads of boot opening and closing and touch wood it's been fine.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh and with the seats down they are massive I've had a 6ft fence panel in mine and shut the boot! Wasn't fun to drive with seat fully forward though!

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The petrol Accords are mechanically bullet proof with only minor issues arising from time to time.

118K on a looked after petrol is nothing to worry about.
    I think most has been mentioned already. I have a 2.4 tourer and my tailgate did fail. it was the motor unit, which is a couple of hours fiddling to change and not the end of the world. They can always be used as a manual tail lift if something on the auto side fails.

Apart from that change the oil regularly and you will get another 118K from it. Spark plugs are due every 70K miles,

Mine also makes a whirring noise when cold but this soon goes away and is nothing to worry about.

Just trying to think, the only other thing I have had was the anti roll bar bushes at the rear were shot on mine, £50 at a local garage, job done or about £15 and an hour to do your self.

You made a good purchase, I think you will not regret it. As said these things are absolutely massive inside and really comfortable to drive. mine went to paris and back with no issues... not bad for a 12 year old car!

Enjoy and keep us posted how it goes.

10. Justin75 New Member Getting Started

Well, I went to view the car today and it didn't have any oil in it and on the test drive it was knocking from the back somewhere.
    Guy was a bit of a plum really saying it wasn't a problem not having oil in the engine.it also sounded quite loud in the cabin. Droney?
    I didn't buy it.
    The search continues.

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Justin.

Have a look at my thread. Although I maybe didn't keep it fully updated I pretty much fixed everything that could go wrong with a petrol tourer.

Link in Sig

You were right to walk away though. In my experience very very very few adverts are honest. Generally if someone says the car needs nothing, it's about two bushes and a tank of fuel away from needing a bare shell rebuild.
    The lax MOT system in England Scotland and Wales makes buying a car even with fresh MOT an absolute minefield.

12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Unlucky OP but you were right to walk away. I also recently bought a 2003 tourer, and mechanically its sound but has some rusty rear arches. 12 year old cars now, so unlikely to be perfect, but a lack of oil in the engine is a big red flag.

13. Justin75 New Member Getting Started

Yes. I'm glad I walked away.
    He kept saying that because it's a honda and very reliable that's why he hadn't checked the oil..
    I'm actually quite shocked how the engine hadn't seized up.i had the oil filler cap off and no oil was spitting out.
    Feel unlucky for the poor sod who gets it as he said he's going to fill it up and re list it.
    Must of had an oil leak or value seals gone.

14. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Or just suggests a lack of sevicing. Did it have all the stamps or receipts?

15. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    I wouldn't bid for cars on eBay, especially when the listing is created as auction...well to me it means the seller in general fails to sell the car as is on gumtree or buy it now/autotrader and has no option but to list it on the auction to make it seem like a good deal. Plus, they get proper mad when you show up and don't buy it, I been there once....and it didn't feel like a pleasant experience and I am happy I walked away as well.

Keep searching you'll find something good, have a look at options a bit further out of London, maybe you'll get bigger variety of Accords.

PS, you are from Sydenham I noticed, kinda local since I am in Catford.

16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    loud in the cabin = worn rear bearings or one of the rear exhaust boxes on the way out

no oil on the dipstick = poor servicing on the engine, regular oil changes with quality oil are a MUST on the K24 engine

electric clutch on the rear tailgate motor is also common issue on early 7th gens