Service & Maintenance Couple of questions about removing/fitting bits!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by ES07FAN!, Tuesday 30th Sep, 2014.

1. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Hi all,

Just picked one of these up, and it's a fantastic car!! Steering is much heavier than the Nissan and Fiat we have, but feels solid!

Am going through the guides etc, and already plan on replacing the center cubby hole (silver paint coming away) and the gear indicators (it's an automatic, but for some reason the paint has come away towards the bottom of it) thanks to the useful guides here.

3 things I can't work out how to do:
    1. Can't work out how to replace is the silver coloured table on the rear of the front middle seat. I've managed to get the 2 sets of cupholders out, and the rubber mat, but can't work out how to get the actual large silver base off (want to replace or respray/touch up as scratched up). Has anyone done this?
    2. Not sure how to remove the front cupholders (they're sort of underneath the front center console below the center cubby hole). Needs some TLC as it seems to jam a bit when trying to use it.
    3. Finally, am planning on adding Bluetooth to the car - has anyone installed Honda's own OEM kit successfully, or, would you suggest something else? Probably makes no odds, but the car has the official Honda ipod cable thing in the glove compartment.
    Thanks!!!!!
    Raj

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome to Honda Karma, please pop along to the introduction section Introduce Yourself • Honda Karma and tell us a bit about yourself and post your car in the garage.

I don't own an FR-V but we have plenty of experienced members who do and I am sure they will be able to help you with your questions. Its great to hear another member happy with their Honda.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Raj, Welcome to Honda Karma.

Maybe one of the FR-V guys maybe able to help you @chris2982, @Bones126. @s60r or anyone else ?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Raj, hope some of our FR-V members are able to sort you out :Smile:

5. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Hi Raj,

Welcome.... I'm new here myself and to the FR-V. I haven't needed to remove either of those things as yet but I'll have a look later and post back if I discover anything that helps.

I can advise that getting the head unit out will be a bit of a mission and may well need the lower cup holder removing, along with the gear lever surround, lower dash etc so it may help in a way as you'll be able to tackle the cup holder at the same time.

I will use the motorola tk30 as I have one in my Subaru and it is really good. It allows hard connection to an iPod or MP3 player in the glove compartment as well as full Bluetooth phone, streaming text message reading etc. The Parrot equivalent is mki 902 but it's in built amp isn't as good. I'm just waiting to see if motorola update it as the leads supplied with mine are for iPhone 4s and below.... So just waiting on a iphone 5/6 lightning connector. A feature I really like is to use a digital radio app and stream it to the car, to give you future proof DAB radio.

Welcome, and enjoy the FR-V.

:Smile:

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
  7. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Wow.. thanks for all the replies so far - can't wait to get my teeth into it!

Will post pictures of the car and do a proper intro over the weekend. This week work has been mental!! :SOS:

Raj

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Hi all,

Sorry for the late update!! Started writing this yesterday late afternoon, but finishing it on Sunday night. Am supposed to put my old car up for sale, but not had a chance to get pics etc sorted. Next week is a bit calmer though, so should start getting things rolling!!! :Smile:

So, after some more digging around the car, the final list of bits that I want to replace seems to be:

- gear selector surround fascia (automatic)
    - front cup holders
    - front cubby hole
    - Front center seat rear cupholder (1 of the 2)
    - front center seat rear fascia
    - boot tonneau
    - some small clips etc which I'll sort later (connecting the boot and rear seat trim)
    - automatic gear indicator light bulb

And some bits to add on/upgrade/check out:

- seats covers - the ones I have are cloth so not that great if you have a dog. Since they don't do these in the UK and I want proper seat covers, this mean't doing a bit of research in the Japanese market. More info to follow later once I have something concrete, but the key issue appears to be the front center seat table, as the covers seem designed for the long thin version, but mine is a bit wider with the cup holders.
    - bluetooth was mentioned previously, but after looking at the links am now thinking of ripping out the existing Honda stereo and putting in a double din unit with satnav etc. This will probably have to wait till just after Christmas!
    - fuel economy on the car (1.8 auto) is coming in at 22.5mpg! This is after careful driving. The car has FHSH and was only services on May, so may have to work out WTH is going on...

So, the first 2 things to do were to contact Honda for some pricing on parts, as well as look out on eBay/Gumtree and start calling some breakers for the parts. Managed to find the front cup holder and cubby hole on eBay, but far too expensive. A breaker on Gumtree looked promising, and even priced up the parts for me, but I realised after a few days of messing around that they were a scammer so dropped that option!

Local dealer parts pricing was pretty much as expected - too much £££ for me! The only part which I decided to pick up from them for the moment was the front center seat rear fascia (came in at about £35 total from memory). After much ringing around, finally found a scrappy who may be getting one in next week, so will report back if I find something fruitful!

Am hoping next weekend to have in my hand a bunch of parts and some non grainy non autotrader images of the car, so fingers crossed a proper update and introduction in the "Introduction" section Broken Front Cup Holder. Existing Boot Tonneau. Existing Front Center Seat Rear and Damaged Cup Holder. Existing Front Cubby Hole. Existing Gear Select Fascia. Replacement Front Center Seat Rear Panel. Broken Front Cup Holder. !

Thanks,
    Raj

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Looks like your going to have fun over the coming weeks and months getting her back up to standard again, look forward to following the progress.

Get your car upload to the Club Garage yaar.

You can then use that as a Project Log for you car :Wink:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're going to be busy Raj, love seeing people's devotion to a presentable car replacing all the worn interior bits. Look forward to reading more as you go along.

As Speedy says, add her into the Club Garage and you can use that to start a proper Project Log :Smile:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How's it going Raj ?

Have you fixed on your car ?

13. bigjoe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Raj, I know this is a year old but did you ever get the front centre seat cup holder swapped? Any pictures of it before/during/after.
    Does anyone know if the newer (2nd Generation) centre seat cupholder fits into the 1st Generation centre seats that came as just a tray?

Thanks,

rammy121 likes this.