General Couple of things I can't find answers to

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Aspman, Tuesday 7th Oct, 2014.

1. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    I've had the Accord about 3 months now and there a few things, nothing serious, that I can't figure out nor find the answers to through the search

1 - DPF. Not my first diesel but first one with a filter. Should I notice anything?
    I do very few short journeys. My usual commute a 35 mile each way on 60mph single carriageway roads, little stopping. I've never ever noticed anything from the car to do with the DPF, no lights, no drop in MPG, no smells nowt.

2 - The hands free phone system. It works quite well except....the bongs. any way to change the volume of the bongs independently than the phone voice volume? I get the voice volume set then deafened by the bongs when it hangs up.

3 - The bells the bells - can any of the myriad of warning chimes be turned off without a coder? The really irritating one is the seatbelt warning going off when I put the key in. I'm in the habit of getting in the car sticking in the key to empty my hands, THEN seatbelt, then start. A habit from the days of diesels with glow plugs that took a moment to get hot. I'm being bonged to death. Woe betide me taking my seatbelt off, leaving the keys in, lights on and opening the door.

4 - Stone chip paint - Dealer the best place to get a chip kit? Car has a few I'd like to touch up. Not too bothered about a perfect finish, I'd just like to protect the metal.

2. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

4. you can get paint brush, which corresponds to your honda colour code from dealership for around 10 pounds i guess..but it requires some practise as it is brush, not a pen or somthing..

Aspman likes this.
  3. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Ta.

Toothpick usually does the trick for the smaller chips

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aspman likes this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was apprehensive about the DPF when I got my I-DTEC.

My work commute is 15 miles each way daily. I'll also do a short trip at lunchtime without the engine getting anywhere near warm never mind hot and I also do quite a few short trips but I've never had DPF light on in 9,000miles.

I think as long as you do enough trips of sufficient length to get everything up to temperature so DPF clean parameters are met often enough this is sufficient to keep it clear without even having to go into regen mode (i.e. the light on on the dash). I'm still learning the I-DTEC but I think there is a routine DPF clean process that isn't even as severe as a normal regen and of you use the car right this is sufficient and it will never need to do a regen - never mind a forced regen.

If it has to do a regen drive for 15 miles at 37+MPH or until the light goes out. You may notice a slight increase in fuel consumption, along with a whiteish exhaust smoke. nothing to worry about it's just the DPF regen needs some diesel injected into the exhaust manifold to burn off and get DPF temperature high enough to burn off the particulate matter and regen the DPF. Ensure you let the process complete as interrupting it before it has completed will lead to DPF blockage and a forced regen at the dealer being necessary. I can't imagine interrupting it once will lead to this but more than once will.

I have also noticed the cooling fan run on when the ignition has just been turned off. This was because the normal DPF clean process was interrupted and the ECU runs the fan on to get the engine bay temperature down.

Engine & Gearbox - Fan Running for a Couple of Minutes After Switch Off • Honda Karma

The other things to bear in mind with DPF:

DO NOT use Supermarket fuel. It is $h!~£ and WILL kill DPF at some point. Use regular or premium branded fuel e.g Shell fuelsave or Nitro+ . BP gets a good write up on here as well.

Be careful with the oil you use. there is also a thread on thisEngine & Gearbox - Engine Oil Specification For DPF (i-DTEC) | Page 3 • Honda Karma

Aspman likes this.
  6. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Cheers that was pretty much what I was wondering.

Bit stuck on the supermarket fuel. I agree it's best avoided but it's a fair trek out of my way to get to a Shell or BP.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

John's advice looks spot on to me :Thumbup:

I've had my I-DTEC for nearly 3 years and 40k miles, and never had an issue at all. Making sure the correct oil is used (0w30) and never supermarket fuel is, as John says, very important. I use mainly Shell (standard) diesel, but also Esso (standard) quite a bit without any problems. Mind you, I'm doing at least 1000 motorway miles a month, so I'd hope not to have any problems with it!

As far as I can tell, the key is regular longish runs - and from what you say in your original post, and as you aren't having any problems, your commute is long enough. Even so, probably worth a good motorway blast once a month...

John Dickson and Aspman like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I don't have an 8th Generation @Aspman but there is a guide here that may help you In-Depth - Honda "Hand Free Telephone" (HFT) User Guide • Honda Karma

Aspman likes this.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes it can be difficult to get certain fuel brands. Esso for example can be hard to find in this neck of the woods.

Cheers Ed! Yes I think the main key factor is exactly that ensuring you get enough runs in of sufficient length to get DPF hot enough, often enough.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's one for 8th Generation owners, @Ichiban ? @John Dickson ?

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good question I've never considered trying to alter the volume or turn the bongs off. I find that swearing at them (subject to who else is in the car with you at the time of course :Wink:) when they get annoying helps :lol:.

Seriously though I will look in the hand book and see. I don't recall anything like this jumping out at me from the handbook but I'm terrible for not reading handbooks :telloff:

My money is on having to access the software to do this but I'll check my handbook now.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Had a quick scan of the handbook and sorry but nothing seems to suggest that this is possible. Think it's a software job with a coder - if it is possible to do.

Would be handy to do as I would like to be able to increase the volume of the parking sensors as they are a bit on the quiet side.

You can increase the volume of the voice commands on the sat nav but not sure if this also applies to the spoken warning messages as well or not (e.g. "the door is open" or "please release the parking brake")

Aspman and SpeedyGee like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh dear ... this is an extreme way of shutting it up ...

This young chap says silcone it up or pull it off !!! I wouldn't suggest either, just get a rubber pipe piece, bung that up and push it one, should make it really quiet.

Of course you've got to go through the hassle of removing the instrument cluster first.

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Of course if you did what he is suggesting then when you come to sell, it will put as lot of buyers off as they'll wonder why it doesn't work. It could open a can of worms. Is it clocked, stolen?....

14. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Looks like I'll just live with them.

Cheers chaps.

I'll try increasing the volume on the phone itself. Not sure if that has any effect across the bluetooth connection but I'll find out.

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No probs mate.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH I am used to the chimes its does not bother me , and sorry don't know how to disable them.