Exhaust System CR-V 16 i-DTEC DPF

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Marinos, Tuesday 23rd Jun, 2015.

1. Marinos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cyprus mjazz Limassol
    It looks like the car is doing the regeneration process every about 200km. If you turn off the engine before it ends , the fans are still spinning for about 10 minutes.The idle stop can not be activated also the car feels weak and when you change gears you can feel the power loss.
    IN THE MANUAL SAYS THAT THE DPF AND THE REGENERATION PROCESS IS FOR CR-V I-DTEC 2.2 NOT FOR THE CR-V I-DTEC 1.6 CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS REALLY GOING ON.....THANKS

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let it checked out at the dealers if your car in warranty for free.

3. Marinos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cyprus mjazz Limassol
    I already did that they say the car is ok..

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How hot is it where you are?

5. Marinos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cyprus mjazz Limassol
    my main question is that i am not sure if the 1.6 I-DTEC CR-V 2013-14 supposed to do regeneration process DPF.Very simple question
    - - - Updated - - -
    The indicator shows ok the engine looks hot fans are spinning but after a while everything is normal this is happening for 18 months now

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Marino Did you do any firmware ECU module updates of your CR-V since your purchase?? Ask your Honda garage an apointment in order to check with the Honda diagnostic scanner which modules need update, in front of you. I suspect you need to do the diesel engine ECU fimrware update at least. But check also for VSA module and other module updates.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The answer. Is yes. The 1.6 has a DPF and therefore requires a self re-gen when the car deems it nessisary. Continuous failures to complete its own re-gen like turning the engine off or driving otherwise in accordance with the required driving situation for a re-gen can clog the filter further. You would then need a main dealer forced re-gen. Has you car had the map sensor re-call carried out? If so you should have the latest software anyway.

8. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Beefy is referring to the Map sensor re-call which you have to ask to be carried out free of charge since you are still under guarantee.

1. An improved MAP sensor has been introduced which no longer uses silver in the temperature sensing part.
    2. The Engine ECM software has been optimised to work in conjunction with the improved MAP sensor.

Bulletins & Advisories - MAP Sensor Failure 1.6 Diesel Engine Only

9. Marinos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cyprus mjazz Limassol

10. Marinos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cyprus mjazz Limassol
    Thank you for the info about this problem but i am wondering why this model does not have a warning sign about DPF regeneration so you know to complete the process or to take the car to the garage for forced regeneration THE CAR MANUAL SAYS THE WARNING SIGNS ABOUT REGENERATION ARE ONLY FOR THE CR-V 2.2 DIESEL MODEL NOT FOR 1.6

11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Marino on the DPF there is software calibration error, and this may cause reduced power etc. The Honda garage should clean out the filter (forced regeneration with the Honda diagnostic scanner) and then upgrade the software (with this order) in order to solve the DPF calibration problem. If you don't do the software update your problem will come back. About the DPF light I don't know but it should turn on when activated. Beefy may have more information.

don't forget to change the map sensor and engine software update too.

The DPF service bulletin is here:
    Bulletins & Advisories - The DPF system malfunction warning lamp is illuminated.

Also this service bulletin may also apply but is covered by the one above because the solution is the same.
    Bulletins & Advisories - Engine Hesitation

In both cases the solution is engine ECM firmware update to latest version. Forced regenerated should be done befofe the update.

I had also a problem with the AWD system where the rear wheels failed to spin in an off road situation and Honda engineer in Nicosia said it is ok after going for a test drive having the diagnostic scanner connected (I guess he was reading AWD live data). Next day I spoke with the Garage head engineer in charge again and notified him the respective service bulletin number which mentions the problem I have, that I was fortunate to find in this website. Then he called me back in 5 mins time, after reading the service bulletins, and ask me to book an apointment for a AWD ECU firmware update and other module firmware update check.
    3 firmware update modules needed to be installed.
    VSA/ABS ECU
    A/T/engine ECU
    AWD ECU
    My vehicle was registered on the 6/2013 2 years old with 3 firmware updates so far and no problems after the firmware updates.

Last edited: Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015
  12. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    OK. I've a manual 1.6i DTEC EX registered 1st Sept with only 1380 miles on it and the DPF warning light has come on already.
    Is this for real?
    Methinks I was maybe sold a vehicle unfit for purpose.
    Booked in for a regeneration this Friday.
    For Pete's sake, it's a car not Doctor Who.
    Not a happy bunny.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That sounds like a very low mileage for a modern diesel - only 1300 miles in 3 months?

Are you doing any longer runs @Big H ?

If not, then you may have ongoing issues with the DPF as they just aren't designed for short trips. If that is your usage then a petrol would have been far more sensible.

I got rid of my Accord I-DTEC when I knew my mileage was going to reduce and bought a petrol for exactly this reason - and it isn't just Honda diesels, a quick look on the web shows that.

Get a regen done at the dealer, and then make sure the car gets a good run (20 miles at least I think is the recommendation) at a good speed, weekly to keep it in good condition.

14. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @BigH, I think you can only say that goods are unfit for purpose if you have explained your purpose to the vendor, or if the vendor must reasonably have known it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    My driving habits were shared with the salesman and I think, conveniently forgotten.
    Having read up a bit more on the trials and tribulations of living with a DPF, I think I'll be paying the dealership a visit this morning to discuss this matter in more detail.
    I'm loathe to change the car, not only because I'm not willing to take the resulting financial hit, but also because I like the vehicle, so I want to establish a routine that will give me a long term solution to this fly in the ointment, maybe along the lines FirstHonda has described.

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    You should also be aware of the other potential problems arising from only doing low, short distance, mileages with modern diesels, including the problems with the DMF, EGR valve and EGR cooler. Unlike the DPF, these cannot "regenerate" themselves by a single longish run now and again.

Keith

17. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    It's true - but I do still wonder that they sell any Diesels in London on that basis . . .

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personal view - if the dealer knew the sort of driving you were going to be doing but didn't say anything about short trips with modern diesels, then you should give them a slap!

Not sure you will actually be able to do much about it though.

What irritates me is that the motoring press also hardly ever mention this aspect when reviewing diesels. For instance, the What Car review of the CR-V says that the diesel is better to drive without any context as to suitability for different use.

19. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    My personal guru - Honest John - has banged on quite a lot about this. But I am using less fuel than I did in the Jazz, and at least here in Italy it costs a good deal less. I estimate my annual saving in fuel as at least €600. If I do have to pay for some extra maintenance on the EGR etc., so be it. After all, when the Jazz had the 40000km service (I think, it was a long time ago), I had to buy 8 new sparking plugs.

Ichiban likes this.
  20. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I don't know about the CR-V, but on the Yeti, replacing the EGR valve or cooler are very time consumng, mainly because of their locations and therefore very expensive. Apparently on some BMWs it is a very simple, quick, operation (I say apparently because I didn't think anything was quick and inexpensive on a Beamer).

It might be worth Marinos doing some research with local main dealers in Cyprus to find out how much it would cost if he ever had to have these items replaced - hopefully he won't.

Keith