Bulletins & Advisories CR-V 2014 model

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ichiban, Monday 9th Sep, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you are on the market for a new CR-V wait for a few months before the 2014 model is released it has a a few updates and enhancements.

One thing I do know is DAB digital audio will be standard across the 2014 CR-V range. Currently its on;y on the EX models which have the DAB as standard.
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DAB is over-rated. It does nothing that bog standard radios don't do already.

I may well be in the minority here but aside from listening to 5 Live when the footy is on and I'm driving, radio for me is worthless, redundant, inferior and technologically irrelevant.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nope Radio is not worthless it cheers me up no end first thing in the morning travelling to Manchester.. RADIO 2 is great I love it.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Another new addtion to the 2014 car

•13YM CR-V SE –T Grade did not come with a rear view camera as Standard.​
    •14YM CR-V SE –T does have a rear view camera as Standard.

make sense to buy the cheaper version now as they are properly trimmed and specd

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Totally agree. FM and MW are fine. DAB fine when on a stationary receiver, but my previous in car experiences with it haven't been great...

^^Couldn't do without Radio 2 either. Ken Bruce...legend!

On a more serious note, do we know whether CR-V sales are living up to, or exceeding, expectations? I see loads of them round here, I'd guess more than any other SUV.
  6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have found the DAB on the CR-V to be fine, in all honesty, both stationary and when moving - although I still say its needlessly overhyped.

Thats weird - I hardly see any, anywhere! I was actually in Amersham and Beaconsfield for a week before I trundled off to France in the CR-V, and I saw a grand total of three.

Even when I went to Legoland a couple of weeks back, I saw just ONE!
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've seen loads around Brum too.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Naturally, as soon as I said I have seen loads round here...I haven't seen a single one for a couple of days!

I grew up around Chesham and Amersham, and without wishing to make huge generalisations (!) I'd say that the Honda badge isn't exactly what that area is looking for in an SUV. Put a BMW badge on the same car on the other hand...!!

I actually saw 4 x 8th Generation Accords yesterday between here and Oxford (and back). Go figure...:Search:
  9. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New to the forum (couch are you around?)

Is the 2014 model getting an opening roof?

Can you have the EX without privacy glass (please).

Whats wrong with Swindon build
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the site, glad to have you join :Thumbup:

Sadly no, the 2014 CR-V does not and will not get an opening roof. Also, the privacy glass comes as standard on the EX. Its a great feature and saves you tinting windows later down the line. As for whats wrong with Swindon Honda's - nothing. :Smile:
  11. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thenks for the welcome.

Opening roof? Shame its not, but not critical

don't mind tinted windows, but havent worked out why privacy glass in domestic cars yet.

Yes thought there musnt be anything wrong with Swindon. Keep seeing the negative vibes. If Honda's usual ethos is prevalent I can't see any reason for worries.
  12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have the EX model and detest the stupid panoramic roof glass. I wouldn't have minded if it wasnt there or it opened. It is a redundant "feature" for me - its just that it was standard with the car, thats all.

The privacy glass is actually very good - I'd rather have it than not, frankly.

And no, there is nothing wrong with Swindon Honda's. At all.

Having driven a 2.4 4th Generation CR-V in the US last year, its identical in terms of build quality to the one here. Mine is utterly flawless and is much tighter fit together than my Accord was - and my Accord was a damn fine car too. You'll see more Sunderland built Nissans, Oxford built Mini's and Birmingham/Gaydon built Jaguars/Range/Land Rovers all broken down at the sides of road before you see a CR-V/Jazz/Civic in the same situation....I traipse up at down every motorway and see everything in trouble except Honda's.

13. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So can I hijack this thread slightly.

Does the I-DTEC have an electric ceramic type heater for winter to heat the cabin up, i.e does the 'screen defroster/demister' switch on this same heater to demist the windscreen and is it effective?
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've only had my car since May, and to be fair havent used the windscreen demister as we've not had the weather for it really.

Suppose the litmus test will be in a few weeks when the clocks go back, winter sets in and the temperatures plummet!! Not sure about the heat system (as you can tell I am not all that technically minded), but the climate control is a lot better than I had on my 8th Generation Accord. Whatever you set it at, its perfect. As its cooler in the mornings now, I can set it at 20C, and it gets nice and warm in a matter of minutes.
  15. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Because most modern larger engine Diesels have an electric ceramic heater system in the cab heater matrix which comes on when the outside temperature is say 10 degrees or so. In my present car a Mondeo, when the outside temperature is around 5 degrees, the incoming air flow without recirculating air too, will reach 65 degrees within 2 to 3 minutes using what appears to be an 800W electric heater.

I’ll miss the heated front screen if I move to a CR-V but I had noticed the screen button on the dash when looking at the CR-V and wondered if it used the same heater for heating the cab up, maybe it was in the earlier CR-Vs too. Ford use a MAX button for demisting, which when pressed turns on heated front screen, heated rear window, aircon on and fan speed max with airflow aimed at screen and air vents and clears any misted windows (including sides and rear) in the car in about 10 seconds.

Trying to get a feel on how I will cope with a CR-V as it’s the car to go for rather than Fords offering (after 43 years of driving Fords too).

Perhaps someone will mention how they find their CR-V on a cold frozen morning?
    Last edited: Sunday 29th Sep, 2013
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the front demisting system is anything like it was on my outgoing Accord, then I for one will have no worries :Thumbup:

The heated screens are indeed good, but in this day and age where many cars don't have that feature, people often complain about demisting the fronts screen - but more often than not, its because they don't know how to operate cabin ventilation properly, or use the air con for a minute or two in order to demist.

I have no issues with the CR-V in this regard and am 101% confident, that even in the absence of a heated screen like Fords have, its not a deal breaker or issue. I have driven Mondeo's etc that have the heated screens - and from my personal experience, I hated them. All the time I could see the squiggly lines in my vision when driving and found it very-off putting to say the least. Personally I see it as a fad and would, out of choice, never buy a car that had a heated front windscreen. But anyway, getting back to the CR-V - get a 48 hour test drive.

Thats what I did. I put one to use over a weekend, and that for me was what sold it.
  17. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure the heated screen is a ‘fad’ as they have been around for at least 30 years and Peugeot, Landrover and Volvo fitted them (OK onetime Ford stable).

My first car with them was in 1984 on an Orion and it was great as we live up on the hills here. Never notice the lines at all as you tend to look past the focal length of the screen and the only time I see them is in thick fog. As a deicing tool its almost instant in loosening ICE and certainly in melting it, its minutes, it quicker than my sons 330D which uses the ceramic heater for screen demisting/defrosting, but hey, drivers drive cars without heated screens so they aint essential and the alternative is an additional heater.

I’m sure the CR-V diesel will have a ceramic heater as the cab just wouldn’t warm up quick enough in winter.

Now be honest and maybe surprisingly, its the Ford alternative that I’d need to drive for 48 hours to be convinced, not the CR-V.
  18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The CR-V may well have the ceramic heater - as said, I havent looked into the technials etc to confirm.

The Ford Kuga was one of a number of CR-V rivals I looked at/drove. It just did nothing for me. Body roll was horrendous, the boot space not that much more practical than my Accord and leg room in the rear, well, the less said about that the better!

Below is a list of what I sampled before settling on the 4th Generation CR-V:

• 3rd Generation CR-V: Good car, but when you drive the 4th Generation, you notice all the flaws in the 3rd Generation from build quality, handling and interior space
    • Ford Kuga: As noted above
    • Hyundai Santa Fe: Interior was very cheap and flimsy. I doubt it would stand the test of time, looked horrible and badly laid out
    • Hyundai IX35: As the Santa Fe, but smaller, not much space anywhere, shocking handling and even poorer interior materials
    • Audi Q5: For the same price as the CR-V EX, the Q5 had nothing. Plus, I wanted a reliable car, German makes are anything but reliable
    • Audi Q3: Coffins have more space that this overpriced garbage does. My old Cavaliefr had more space than this and was better built too
    • BMW X5: Imminently replaced so wasnt going to bother - overpriced and no manual gear box either
    • BMW X3: Rubbish from top to bottom. Shocking build quality (Hungarian built I believe), poor handling, smaller boot/leg room than the CR-V
    • Toyota RAV4: Worst dash layout in living history, recycled plastics, gruff drive with limp torque and poor equipment
    • Land Rover Freelander: As said, I wanted a reliable vehicle, not one that keeps the AA/RAC employed. I wouldn't urinate on this if it was on fire
    • Mazda CX-5: Another hideous, cheap plastic interior, poor rear legroom and boot. Does nothing special at all
    • Subaru Forester: You'll notice the common theme on interiors as this is where you spend most of your time!! It was stunningly craptacular
    • Mitsubishi Outlander: Wholly uninspiring from the ground up. Expensive, nothing at all special about it. Another poorly designed interior
    • Volvo XC60 & XC90: Just like the Outlander - horrible exterior/interior, poor fuel economy and gutless cars
    • Chevrolet Captiva: Nice big car, but poor residuals/engines and handled like a house, it was a non-starter
    • Vauxhall Antara: Nothing at all I can say that is remotely positive. Nasty cheap interior, held together with dried bogies - rubbish!
    • Volkswagen Tiguan: Just NO! Legroom poor, boot space poor, visibility all round poor, cabin layout poor - everything about it had a "can't be arsed" factor
    • Kia Sportage: Another rash of cheap Korean plastics and poor dashboard layout. Overpriced for what it is and its not exactly anything special to drive either
    • Kia Sorento: Overweight, overpriced, even worse cabin quality than the Sportage. Seen more life in a mortuary than the way this thing drove
    • Nissan Qashqai: You can tell the influence of cheap Frenchness - why anyone wastes money on this contraption is beyond me
    • Subaru XV: Subaru is like Liverpool FC - living in the past on former glories. This was a car I wish I hadnt drove. Its time I can never get back...
    Ichiban likes this.
  19. FCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I like your list.. Ididnt even look at them closly to form probably similar impressions. German cars have stigma (thanks to their drivers) which I don’t like and apart from them having horrible driving positions (which we all get used to) and interiors that are not inspiring, which as an opinion annoys my son with his 330D, and I dislike driving when he asks me.

Oddly enough on testing the Kuga and CR-V, we clearly have different opinions.

Both cars (I’ll say cars) were tested on exactly the same roads and cross surfaces, and I was driving, so I took note of how well it handled on the motorway, rough surface which had top surface removed in places and country lanes where you could see who was coming well in advance while taking corners at smartly (frightened the Honda sales guy and worried the Ford saleswoman).

The CR-V we tested was an S with 225/65R17 tyres and the Kuga was a Titanium with 235/55-17 tyres. The model were looking at is the EX and Titanium X, which both have 18” tyres and proportionally less side wall rubber to bounce on and less to ‘roll’ on.

No question at all, the CR-V was a softer ride and the roll significant enough to notice but not worryingly so even before driving the Kuga and of course coming out a Mondeo. The I-DTEC engine quiet and had some lovely bottom end torque. We were sold on the CR-V in the EX version and I’d resigned myself to the unnecessary privacy glass, but had to try the Kuga.

We gave up comparing build quality between the two cars as there really isnt any comparison and made the price tag on the Kuga inflated. Here’s the most telling aspect of the test. My wife and I got into the Kuga and sat in our respective passenger and driver seats. I put my hands on the wheel, the layout of the dash not much different to my wifes Titanium Fiesta. We both looked at each other instinctively and nodded and smiled, it seems we both thought something was ‘just right’ and at the moment I didn’t know what.

So what made us both instinctively nod and smile as we initially sat in the Kuga, I had to go back to the CR-V to find out. I sat in the EX in the showroom and for a few seconds pondered, then simply reaching over to open the glove box told me what made us both smile. It was the seats and driving position. The CR-V seats are comfy, but didn’t support at the sides as well as the Kuga, and didn’t give me in particular, the sense of being part of the car as the Kuga and in particular my Mondeo. My wife agreed.

Of course this is my opinion and I’m looking at changing car manufacturers, from a manufacturer who has almost become the benchmark in comparisons for driving position and feel (all the journalists can't be wrong too), to another manufacturer who also pays particular attention to this, but in a different way. I (we) did’nt say ‘yuk’ to the CR-V, we both said ‘wow’ particularly when we opened the tailgate.

We’re going back to drive them both in October (was supposed to be September but work gets in the way) and we’ll be making the decision. It would indeed be better driving both without the sales person sat in the back seat though. Point taken.
  20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can only suggest you ask your Honda dealer to source you an EX model to drive.

There is a massive difference between that and the entry level S model.

Not wanting to sound like a sales-rep or to influence your decision - in the same way you felt "right" in the Kuga, having been accustomed to Fords, I was the same coming from the Accord too. Aside from that, with my two children in the Kuga, the space was not very practical at all. This is where the CR-V trumped it. My wife can sit at the front with her seat right the way back, and my daughter sat behind can still stretch her legs fully (she's 12) - she couldn't do that in the Kuga.

The other thing to note is that once the I-DTEC engine reaches ambient operating temperature, it is a lot quieter than the Kuga by a wide margin. You struggle to hear it - I kid you not.

Plus, as you can see from this post, the CR-V eclipses the Kuga on efficiency too. Granted, I do a lot of mway mileage, I am getting 50-60-plus MPG every day. Even on short blasts, I get ridiculously high MPG from 45-50mpg.

Overall, the CR-V feels so much more sure footed, and the fact that the Kuga does not pull away from standstill in 4WD/AWD like the CR-V, the car is more poised, sure footed and bolted to the ground. Thats why I thoroughly recommend you have a drive of the EX model, preferably in manual like I have - its a massive difference to your selection process.

I can relate to your comments re the CR-V seats - however, once you see the EX leather seats, you are fairly well accommodated and do not "move" when cornering etc - it feels deceptively like a stiffened saloon car. I will however concede that the seats in my Accord were nicer,, but then again, the Accord is not a 4x4 and the CR-V is not a 4-door saloon - so you have to accept different design thesis/cultures too.

The other element I can profess is that the CR-V will not only hold its value a lot more than the Kuga, it will be infinitely more reliable too. Not to admonish your personal experience with the Mondeo, or any other Ford(s), but Honda's reliabilty is oft opined because it is true - it is utterly bombproof. I had no issues whatsoever with my Accord (my first Honda BTW), and this CR-V in EX 2.2 I-DTEC guise is even better.

Let me know when you're buying - heck I'd be happy to try accommodate a personal test drive in mine if the timing is right. The Kuga was for me, certainly better than the other cars I listed above, but the reality is that the CR-V is a class leader for a reason and the Kuga still falls, in my eyes, a long, long way short of parity.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014