General CR-V 2015 1.6D manual AWD test

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by PanayiotisPal, Tuesday 11th Oct, 2016.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Honda CR-V AWD rocks. Amazing footage. Video was found and scene was extracted and uploaded to youtube just for Honda Karma CR-V fans. Enjoy.

FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just look at what the accountants offer their tight @rse customers ..LOL bloody hilarious no incline to be seen.. Did the front wheel move oh dear....

4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Rav4 has a AWD lock mode though. Perhaps he could make it if it was engaged, though it is really a bad AWD performance from RAV?? 2016 AWD Rav-4 also has front lockers. What about CR-V 2017???

I would like to see CR-V on a diagonal AWD incline test.
    Diagonal test fail example CX-5 2015 (0:44) see video below.

Also one can manipulate traction control (turn traction off) thus ABS will not stop the free spinning wheel (when has no traction) thus no torque is transferred to the wheel on the same axle that has the traction. I have seen some epic fails with traction control set to off including new Tiguan 2016 AWD. He was doing a similar AWD test on an incline hill with traction control set to off (off road mode on I think also means traction off), and new Tiguan failed. He did not test with off-road mode off.

Also I have seen the Rav4 AWD hybrid 2016 in off road conditions, and AWD had a very late response. I did not like the system at all though the 2 guys reviewing it and 1 girl driving it said that it had no AWD lock mode so they could not engage it in order to test its performance, and that was awkward since I know it exists. (video at 7:48). Rav4 AWD not a good off road performer.

Last edited: Saturday 15th Oct, 2016
    Ichiban likes this.
  5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That is why I am converging my opinion to 3 best AWD systems:
    1. Honda Pilot Honda Acura AWD systems: SH-AWD system best there is
    2. Forester AWD system with X-Mode (symmetrical capability).
    3. GKN twinster similar to 1 but not as good because of overheating issues
    The 2016 Ford Focus RS Gets an Advanced Torque-Vectoring AWD System
    Compared to other AWD systems such as the GKN Twinster and the Haldex, the clutch pack in SH-AWD only need to handle 27.8% (1/3.6) of the workload that the Twinster/Haldex systems need to handle under the same output condition. This is the reason why higher load can be applied on the rear wheels more frequently in the SH-AWD system, without the wear and overheating concern.

I don't know which Haldex system he refers to .Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis (Updated Jan.8, 2016) - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I also have a Mitsubishi Outlander Failure. Will post tomorrow.

It seems that all AWD systems, apart from the one that come with lockers (e.g. SH-AWD) or the ones with lock mode 50% front 50% rear capability (e.g. Subaru Forester X-mode, more or less perform the same.

The ones with CVT perform the poorest out of all in hill climb conditions.

7. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mitsubishi Outlander 2016 CVT AWD Failure

and a HONDA CR-V CVT Hill Climb Failure:

Summary:
    Disadvantage of all CVT transmissions: No low gear capability means stuck in fresh snow, bad hill climb performance, and if stuck you will probably need external help.

Hopefully in Europe we will continue to get the automatic transmission 5-9 speed.

Last edited: Monday 17th Oct, 2016
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I'm sure a snow mode will hold the transmission in a lower gear but then again as everyone has been telling you if you buy CR-V for off-roading capabilities you are mistaken. CR-V etc are softroaders and have only got AWD for basic tasks. It's more than enough for most people as you can tell from it being the number selling Mid size SUV in USA.

The obsession with imaginary capabilities is just futile. Until we get a Ridgeline type SHAWD there is no hope for you.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  9. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I want to sign a petition for SH-AWD on CR-V :Smile: I agree. Though if you get SH-AWD with CVT you will still have the same bad AWD performance when off-road. Generally speaking AWD and CVT don't match.

Proof / example: Nissan X-trail has no CVT on its 4WD versions. (3 i-mode driver selectable options on manual: 2WD, AUTO 4WD, LOCK MODE).

Last edited: Tuesday 18th Oct, 2016
  10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    It doesn't mention what type of tyres they had on the Outlander in the snow. From the bit that was shown I would think that a 2WD with winter tyres would cope OK with that. As we all know, in the snow, a 2WD with winter tyres will outperform an AWD on summer tyres.
    Legendary's comment about the CR-V being a soft roader is absolutely correct. If you are going to do serious off road work, then you need to buy the right vehicle, e.g. a Defender, or one of the big Toyotas.

Keith

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

In this case we need to see the AWD system performance. It does not have to do with the Tyres but with the system it self. We are testing the system if it works as it should be. Even with AWD lock mode, the rear left wheel fails to spin. This has to do with the AWD system capability and transmission type. In this case the AWD system did not break the rear right wheel in order to transfer the torque to the same axle opposite wheel. It seems to be either a firmware incapability, or probably low torque transfer to rear wheels due to CVT, unless traction control was disengaged on purpose/intentionally which I doubt. If all 2 rear wheels were turning, then I would agree that it would be a tyre problem.

Regarding CR-V, I am making a statement that AWD and CVT should not be used together. CVT does not have a low gear, so AWD fails to kick in low gear situations when CVT is the transmission.

I am saying that European automatic CR-V AWD system performs a bit better in low gear situations than the CR-V CVT in USA when off-road, so I am positive the hill climb with the European CR-V would have been a pass. CR-V with CVT (USA) barely failed the hill climb whereas the X-trail AWD with manual transmission passed the test. Try X-trail AWD with CVT. There is no such version, guess why (In UK it seems that there is a 4x4 CVT X-trail version dCi 177 in their pdf but not available?? to purchase, I would like to see how this performs on hill climbs). I have tested AWD capability on a off-road hill climb sandy road, leaving from a remote beach, and CR-V passed the test, even if it is a soft AWD system as you say, but not less capable than other AWD systems in the same segment.

In any case even with SH-AWD system CVT is not recommended. Automatic transmission with SH-AWD is the way forward, if Honda really want to upscale their CR-V as they say so.

Last edited: Tuesday 18th Oct, 2016