General CR-V 4th Generation 2012 petrol (auto) engine oil - 0W-20 - new specs for European Market

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by PanayiotisPal, Wednesday 31st Aug, 2016.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    My manual says that for European market CR-Vs (petrol) the oil recommended is 0W-30. Honda parts say that new i-Vtek 2.0 specs now use 0W-20.

So I would go 0W-20 from now on.

Hope that this helps regarding the debate on engine oil on 4th Generation petrol CR-Vs.

Advantage better fuel mileage over 0W-30.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey @PanayiotisPal it been some time we last saw you here hope you are well. How hot does it get in summer months where you are and if you are going to tow a lot or have the A/C on all in that heat then 0w-30.

0w-20 is ideal for sub 35 degree C below, I made the switch to 0w-20 4 and half years ago and that's what I have been using every since. The results are fantastic all round the car love it.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  3. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hello Ichiban,
    Everything is well, my only trouble is UK exiting EU zone :Smile: Hope you are fine too. Havent had a reply from you since ICE AGE :Smile:

Just kidding. Honda parts gave me 0W-20. I was using 0W-30 before (Honda part). The price is about the same. Hope that engine does not overheat. In USA I think they have 0W-20 for the petrol i-vtek engines. I am not towing but definetely using aircon until end of September. Hope that engine does not overheat or camshaft does not fail. We usually have 33-45 deg C in Summer season.

What happened I ordered 0W-30 and sold me a 0W-30 oil for diesel engines. Then recognizing their mistake they changed oil to 0W-20 for petrol engines debating that this is what Honda recommends now. Havent opened the 4l oil container yet.

I also love CR-V. It is the best AWD car I have driven on the road. No problems since the AWD firmware update, though the fuel economy seems to be decreased. The stock tyres lasted 51000 km but now it is time for replacement. Too bad my wife is driving it.

Last edited: Wednesday 31st Aug, 2016
  4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ichiban, it drives so much better (smooth), and the fuel consumption is less.

Now I understand why CR-V when bought performed much better before it was serviced.

The answer is 0w-20 + econ mode + new tyres + no airconditioning= honda average fuel consumption
    Having 0w-30 does not help reaching this figure.