General CR-V Acceleration Hesitation

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by HN99, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. HN99 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom UK
    Hi - I'm new here.. and hoping to find other owners experiencing similar problem to mine.

I have just purchased a 2012 CR-V Petrol.

We are having issues with subtle dips in acceleration- like a hesitation, or a hiccup.
    Most noticeable when exiting roundabouts in third. Like a stutter.

It is very, very frustrating.

Dealer has had it in twice. First time, claimed to witness no problem.
    Then I went out with the tech, and it happened twice. And he acknowledged it.

They have run diags and have found nothing.
    They now claim it is a 'normal feature' on the car, and nothing to worry about.
    One of their guys apparently owns the same model and says his does the same thing, and that they 'all do it'.

They have sent some data off to Honda to get a second opinion - but I can see where this is heading.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, was there a resolution?
    I would really like to short cut the dealer straight to the fix if I can, and cut out weeks of to-ing and fro-ing...

Any help / info gratefully received!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi welcome to Honda Karma.

I've not actually heard of this problem on a petrol engined CR-V.
    What's the mileage of your CR-V ?
    Has it been regularly serviced ?

Could be an EGR issue, faulty coil pack, o2 sensor issue, throttle body/throttle position sensor issue amongst other potential issues

Assuming there is a fault there in the first place, how low on the revs are you if your are trying to go round a roundabout in third gear ?

3. HN99 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom UK
    It is low mileage - only 8,000

Was serviced once after a year, and then just before I bought it, by the dealer last month.

Doesn't only do it on roundabout, just that's when I notice it most.
    Might do it in second gear off roundabout also.. I need to take more notice!

Around 2k revs I'd say it does it most.
    Only when gently accelerating
    If I accelerate hard it doesn't seem to do it.

Sometimes it does it when just driving along, barely accelerating at all in fifth.

Still under Honda warranty so I want to get it resolved before that runs out. But they can find no fault.
    Going back in tomorrow so they can grab some data to send to Honda. But I can't help feeling this just them passing the buck.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Clicked reply there in stead of Preview.. :Smile: Hadn't finished..

It is more that I am in third coming off the roundabout, than going round it in third...

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OK, fair enough.

It's a tricky one to diagnose over the internet but I think the approach of gathering data and analysing it is the best approach.

5. HN99 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom UK
    I will wait and see what (if anything) Honda come back with..

I have seen incidents cited on the web on older CR-V models, with people describing the same issue in the past, but they are old closed threads.
    I was hoping to engage with someone online who might have experienced the same problem more recently, on a more recent model.

Could it be a symptom of the low mileage?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could be .. maybe it needs a good old fashioned Italian tune-up (drive it really hard for a good while).

Or perhaps there's just some carbon build somewhere (like the throttle body).

7. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    sounds similar to the problem I have with my 2000 Accord, it's like a dead spot between 1.5k and 2.5k RPM ONLY when it's in gear, only way to stop it from happening until I remedy it is dip the clutch and hit over 2.5k RPM then clutch up again

8. HN99 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom UK
    What is frustrating is that the dealer suggests it is normal behaviour... something to do with the injectors opening and closing apparently.
    I don't buy that.

If it was 'normal behaviour', it would have every time at the same point. It is not repeatable.
    Intermittent != normal behaviour in my experience. :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sounds a fun remedy. :Smile:

9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know this doesn't help, but no such problem with mine, 42K mileage. Put a couple of tanks full of 97 in or Shell Nitro and give it a few canings on the motorway. I don't use 95 anymore. What I have found is that the petrol engine doesn't like being treated too gently. It thrives when given plenty of revs.

10. k24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any luck on finding this problem? I've an 07 CR-V doing the same thing at them low revs

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It might be worth changing fuel filter, check spark plugs and leads. It's been a while since I've had to deal with petrol issues but im sure thats where to start after you've put some good quality fuel in and revd it's nuts a little.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @k24 Has your CR-V always done this or only just started?

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I agree with the above, 8k is very low miles in four years. Probably been an old boys shopping wagon. As Basil says it deserves a damn good thrashing !

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would expect any sensor issues to throw up a code? My first thought would be the fuel filter, you could have got unlucky when filling up. A pretty cheap place to start and won't do any harm to replace either.

14. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi, I have a 2010 CR-V 2.0 EX petrol with just 28 k on the clock and mine has done this since I owned it (4 years). I run it on Shell nitro but it hasn't made any difference. Mine has been serviced on a regular basis. I think it is something that happens on the petrol versions when the revs are just too low when going around islands or accelerating in too high a gear. You will get used to it.
    Regards
    Mike c

15. k24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still there, I've just gotten used to it, hasn't got any worse and had it plugged in by my local mechanic and it was showing no faults. I changed the plugs a Wile back, my thoughts where if it got worse I would Change the coils, but this is expensive if doesn't work. I rang honda about a fuel filter and the guy told me it's a lifetime filter inside the tank and isn't a service item which I found odd. Anyone changed the fuel filter on a 3rd Generation petrol CR-V before?

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure about petrol but Honda had the fuel filter down as being changed on my diesel. Although the Accord petrol I had was in the fuel tank but still serviceable, mine was totally clogged when I changed it, posted photos on here also.

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mike says he's does it so I'm thinking it's normal.

You could always test drive another and see if it does it.

The easiest solution seems to be keep the revs up which makes it sound like a lack of torque at low RPM. I'm wondering if a K n panel filter and a remap might help.

18. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Hi all, just looked up the fuel filter question and on the american CR-V owners site they said there isn't one, just on the pump which I assume is in the tank ?

19. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 2Lt petrol is as fast and zippy as you like! Plugs are iridium and don't need changing for 75K!!
    give it some boot! it's probably choking to death on a granny style of driving.

20. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have noticed the similar problem on my 08 petrol. Seems to be at around 2k revs. I don't think it is lack of torque because on. Are that I have driven with not enough power, if you accelerate and it doesn't have enough pull it just bogs a little bit and slowly acelerates. My car seems to miss a beat and then it's ok. Would like to get it sorted. Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter and the EGR valve are. Have read that that may be an issue here.