Bulletins & Advisories CR-V Air Conditioning Compressor Failure

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Service News, Friday 2nd Dec, 2011.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This is a warranty extension was announced by Honda UK on the 2nd of December 2011. This is for all Petrol CR-V chassis code RE5 the 2.0 litre petrol engine. The production models from 2007 till 2010 are affected by this problem.

What is the Symptom?
    CR-V owners of the affected Chassis code may hear of abnormal noises from the engine bay area, or that their Air Conditioning no longer functions. The abnormal noise can be attributed to the bearing within the Air Conditioning Compressor Pulley / Clutch Assembly and the loss of operation can be attributed to the Air Conditioning Compressor Field Coil.

What is the Cause of this issue?

After extensive and detailed analysis by Honda engineers, it was highlighted in how the assemblies bearing and the coil were engaging. This repetitive engagement caused slippage of the air conditioning compressor clutch. The clutch slipping is due to premature wear of the armature plate on the clutch set which is due to an increase in the clutch, engaging and disengaging more frequently.

The root cause of this increased compressor cycle is caused by a reduction in the surface area of the air conditioning system evaporator from 2007 model year CR-V onwards. This reduction in surface area has resulted in a decrease in thermal efficiency, causing the air conditioning compressor to function more frequently to achieve the required level of cooling.

As the air conditioning compressor clutch slips excessive heat is produced, this excess heat has 2 detrimental effects.

1. The retainer ring within the Clutch set bearing begins to melt; this causes roughness and binding within the bearing.

2. The Field Coil has an internal thermal fuse. When the Field Coil reaches 135°C the fuse blows, as this is not a resettable fuse the coil becomes inoperative.

The Honda Fix
    To increase the robustness of the air conditioning compressor clutch a friction liner has been added to the armature plate. This friction liner reduces the amount of slip that occurs each time the clutch engages and disengages.

A - Shows pre countermeasure clutch set.

B - Shows countermeasure clutch set with friction liner

CRV images.

This friction liner has been introduced on parts fitted at the factory to all new CR-V's, and also all service parts have also been changed to include the new friction liner.

According to Honda the majority of cases will not require replacement of the air conditioning compressor Assembly, these cases can be repaired by replacing either the Compressor Clutch Set, the Field Coil or on occasions,both.In a limited number of cases the air conditioning compressor will require replacement.

In order to ascertain which parts require replacement you must book your CR-V at the nearest Honda dealer for initial diagnosis.

The revised part number are

07 till 09 Model Year
    Compressor Comp 38810-RZV-G02
    Clutch Set Comp 38900-RZV-G02
    Coil Set, Field 38924-RZV-G01

10 Model Year
    Compressor Comp 38810-RZV-G03
    Clutch Set Comp 38900-RZV-G02
    Coil Set, Field 38924-RZV-G02

The warranty extension period is 3+3 years (total 6 years) 100,000 miles / 160,000 km limit, which ever comes first.

2. Byron Davies New Member Getting Started

Hi there,
    I came across this post in a search. I have had the compressor go and the dealer wants to charge me lots of money.

Would you happen to have the original TSB number or the NHTSA Item Number? I'd like to find a copy of the TSB so I can show it to the dealer.

Thanks a lot

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC just tell the dealer to look this up on Maris. Or print this thread out .

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Bryon,

Any updates?

5. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hello the air compressor on my 2007 CR-V EX has just packed in. The car is just 3 months over its 5 year warranty. Typical! I called Honda UK and asked about the warranty mentioned here but she knew nothing about it? Does anyone know if there is an official page or link somewhere or if there is someone specific I need to speak to at Honda? Thanks!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi there you will need to speak to Honda dealers who are the first port of call for this. If you are is out of warranty then it out of warranty but they could do something for you.

How sure are you that your car has the above issue which has affected your car.?.

7. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hi thanks for the quick reply. The air con stopped blowing cold air (the canister is full however) and at the same time we started hearing a fairly loud rattle from the under the bonnet. I have booked it in for diagnosis though.
    If our car is 5 years old would it not be covered under the extended warranty?
    Thanks for your help.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you look at the TSB as above "The warranty extension period is 3+3 years (total 6 years) 100,000 miles / 160,000 km limit, which ever comes first." Since your car is 2007 year model it is within what is the mileage on your car?

Only a Honda dealer can look into it and confirm if the above part is the offending part for the failure , If it is not then don't expect that to fall into warranty extension.

9. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Thanks for the response. The mileage is 47,000 miles so I am hoping that if it is the offending part, it will be covered by the extended warranty.
    The diagnostic is being done by a Honda dealer so hopefully they will be able to confirm.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you are well within the TSB guidelines, get your car booked into the dealer at the earliest. I won't mention nothing of this TSB from the outset.

Let them diagnose and pinpoint the fault and see what they say.:Thumbup:

11. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Good advice thanks. I'll keep you posted!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP buddy keep us posted a few of the other members never gave their feedback , so it will be beneficial for the others.

13. FreddyFel New Member Getting Started

Rugby
    Just wanted to say thanks for the info here.

Compressor began to fail while in France :Aghast: - managed to drive around for a further few days, then smelt smoke getting on the Eurotunnel. Nasty noises starting up again, and when we stopped for petrol in Folkestone, smoke from the bonnet!!! I could see it was coming from the compressor pulley but we decided to drive a far as we could until it stopped and get the AA.

We made it home :OTT:, and a few minutes after switching off heard a clunk. Looking at the engine saw the drivebelt had snapped - presumably melted through on the overheating pulley.

Phoned Honda, they collected it and rang back the next day...

The tech said it was the AC compressor gone, it would be replaced and all sorted UNDER WARRANTY!

You cannot imagine the relief - especially when he said it would have cost £1700! It was ready 2 days later.

Just wanted to share the happy news with anyone else who has this problem. Renewed my faith in Honda, that's for sure.

Thanks again for the info in this thread which gave me something to hang on to - although I didn't need it in the end.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hi just to let you know that I took the car into Honda who confirmed it was the air con compressor. I didn't even have to mention the TSB, the dealer had already printed it out and confirmed it would be covered by the extended warranty, plus I get a courtsey car and didn't need to pay the £45 fee for diagnosis. Delighted! Great service!
    Thanks for putting up the TSB info. If I hadn't have come across this forum, I wouldn't have gone to Honda and would have just taken it straight to my normal non-honda garage and probably paid over a grand to fix it so many many thanks!

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the update glad the information has come to good use,just proves Honda will always look after the customers when they see an issue.