Engine & Gearbox CR-V arrived today.

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by pjwy, Thursday 21st Jan, 2016.

1. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Yorkshire
    My wife's 2009 CR-V cdti es got collected today and cery nice it is too.
    Being completely new to this model could I ask a daft question?
    Is this model permanent 4wheel drive? Reason for question is that I somewhere got the impression that one could switch from 2WD to 4WD a bit like an old Suzuki we used to own.
    No problem whichever but just curious as there is no obvious way to do it.

2. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    It is normally front wheel drive and the rear wheels are powered if a front wheel losses grip as soon as the relative wheel speed is equalized it switches back to front wheel drive. Assuming it is not not 2WD but I think they weren't sold here in 2009.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure it's AWD with something like 95% power at the front wheels unless there is slip. It's a dual pump system so physics is pretty much what makes it work rather than an electronic type.

4. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well it's certainly described in the advert as 4WD so I assume it is...at least I hope it is!
    It's just that there is no apparent way to switch from 2 to 4WD that made me ask.
    Not having ever been in any other CR-Vs,are all the CR-V cdti es 3rd Generation that you guys run the same as ours?

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the suzuki also has the ability to lock the central diff which appealed to me.

6. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So how would I find out for sure if this 4WD...it as advertised as such but there is no original brochure with the vehicle?

7. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    2010-02-25_144202_1.
    Does your vehicle have a propshaft, rear diff and rear driveshafts. If not then its FWD . If yes then AWD

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They sit high off the ground so have a look underneath from behind to see if it has a rear Differential. Check out my rear diff fluid change guide to see what it looks like.

9. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you guys..Will check in daylight underneath and report back.

10. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all....bit of an update on this CR-V of ours.
    I managed to source the dealer who first supplied and serviced it ( Phoenix Honda Stirling).
    They ere very helpful and confirmed they serviced it and is indeed a 4WD.
    Actually they pointed out also that the CR-V 2WD was only introduced in 2015 ( I think) and was'nt available back in 2009.
    Will still look underneath in the morning though! !
    Much obliged for your replies.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Good to know plus it may be worth doing a diff fluid change for peace of mind. It's cheap and easy to do, just make sure you only use genuine Honda fluids.

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    No such thing as a 4WD Honda CR-V. There front wheel drive only until as stated earlier the front wheels slip. It then becomes 3 or 4 w d until the front wheels regain grip.
    If you want permanent 4WD you've bought the wrong vehicle.
    But don't panic there about a million times more reliable than a freelander.

Al Star likes this.
  13. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The "moose test" people in Sweden tested a 2014 (mfg 2013) CR-V: Honda CR-V’s 4WD system is not working – again | Teknikens Värld
    Sounds like a 2WD system, with very limited power to the rear, and for a short time, to protect the mechanicals. Unless the firmware has been updated, and the hardware hardened. Is the 2015 version the same?

14. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I read also that this was the case...I have impression that for driving in snowy conditions
    ( not perhaps such as Eastern U.S. are currently experiencing though !! ) this CR-V will be infinitely better than a normal sedan.

Have to say that it's surprisingly easy to be confused in this kind of situation and there must be millions worldwide like myself on this issue.

Saying that,and correct me if I'm wrong,the CR-V I-CDTI es which we recently purchased,will respond to normal winter road driving conditions more like a 4x4 than would a normal 2WD saloon. This would dobfor me as have no intentions of doing anything like off road stuff.

15. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote

Yes don't get me wrong I do know they make a front wheel drive only. Yours should be as stated front wheel drive and the back wheels only kick in when needed. I booted my old banger out of a wet roundabout the other day. The front wheels span then whoosh I could feel the backs kick in. It pushed me out with some forse, very impressive. You can go a bit wild on corners and feel the extra grip only fills you with confidence. As I said Google CR-V off road, there's a few videos of old 1st Generation s. Sorry first generations, doing things far beyond their desighns , mud, snow, sand etc.

16. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

WET roundabouts in Lanzarote must be a rarity!

17. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    No sir, unfortunately I've had to leave bump behind in the UK. I return every 3/4 months and need a vehicle I can just get in and drive. Was back for Xmas hence the rain. I prayed for snow but still no joy after two years. Dam this global warming lol.

18. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah....I see.
    Returning to Blighty once every 3/4 months is just about the right balance.
    Costa Teguise and P.del Carmen used to be old haunts of ours but in recent times accross the water in the southern end of Fuerte has been the norm.
    Lovely down there.