Engine & Gearbox CR-V Auto oil change

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Tom Horlick., Monday 20th Jun, 2016.

1. Tom Horlick. Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tosher Dartford
    Hi all, I am going to change the oil in my auto gearbox 2004 2nd Generation CR-V, the manual says use ATF-Z1 but I understand that it is not available anymore, could anyone tell me of the best alternative, it would be much appreciated .......

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RUSS HELSTON
    Honda ATF DW-1 replaces and mixes in with Z-1 as when you carry out change there is still a fair amount still in transmission. Checked with local agent when i did mine.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You have to flush the system at least three times to change out all the old oil properly.

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Do they still have torque converters these days ? If so most of the oil will be left behind.
    Top tip my mechanic ( not on this car ) always put a large magnet in the sump pan which obviously stops even more metal debris floating around.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Majority of the AT boxes for Honda are still TC's

All Honda AT boxes have large internal magnetic and even the sump plugs are these days so save your money.

stuscrv likes this.
  7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    No expense in my case as manual lol.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Even manual gearboxes have massive magnets internally.

9. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did full flush when i did it first time and managed to get three 4litre containers of the stuff on offer from main dealers. Cost a fair bit then so just do standard change more frequent easier on the pocket which is nearly empty these days.

10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I think its much more important to change oil/filter on an auto. As mine was literally run into the ground by previous owner ( I had to clean dipstick with wire wool ! ) I dread to think when gearbox oil was last changed.
    As I've said the rusting underside will take preference , I'm hoping I can get away with minimal expense to get another year out of bump and slowly work my way through growing advisory list if economical.

11. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep tinworm underneath is going to defeat old grizzly soon i rhink . M.O.T next month!

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I had ns rear welded when I bought it, now there's a hole in the os. Also will need a complete exhaust, brake pipes to name but a few ! I'm lucky as got a motty till mid December, will have to see as car probably worth £5-600

13. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No welding on car as yet but now doomed by saying that.

legend-ary likes this.
  14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I wish you well, let us know how it goes.

15. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do cheers !

16. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Just saw this on eBay , they state switchable auto ?

17. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great news MOT passed again no advisory. Thats same result last 4 years so treated old grizzly to wash and polish with autoglym. Arms aching now. Still looking for decent plastic trim cleaner that does not fade so quick around wheel arches and sills.

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Great news @old grizzly
    Regarding the trim cleaner, I have been researching something for my Jazz's body moldings too and was recommended 'bumper gel' which supposedly lasts longer. OR if you are brave and have a lot of time on your hand you can do this:

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel. Best I have ever used, far superior to the AutoGlym bumper gel IMHO.

20. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have used autoglym gel looks good does not last. Not sure about attacking with heat gun could lead to blisters on me and the trim. Will check out chemical guys thanks.