Aftermarket Kit CR-V AWD lifting springs 2013+30mm

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by PanayiotisPal, Tuesday 2nd Jun, 2015.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    I was searching for ways to increase the ground clearance for my CR-V 2013 AWD for a bit off road situations.

I found an aftermarket solution with +30mm H&R lifting springs for 3cm greater ground clearance (I think made in Germany). The model number is 29036-2. Honda service said that more mechanical wear will occur due to this lift, and some alignment problems will occur from this solution. What is your opinion? Do you think I will have greater mechanical wear? Would you please advice if adding these springs will get my CR-V into trouble in the short/long term due to greater mechanical wear? What is your professional opinion. Thanks

Attached Files:

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I don't think 30mm is going to be a problem their are guys in the states that lift them three times that amount mostly the earlier models but it will have a similar effect whatever the vehicle is. I think most dealers will put you off as they don't want the risk of comebacks later on. It may void your warrantee though so consider that first.

Toggerefc likes this.
  3. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Davej5 we have the same thinking. I am just trying to see Hondas point, or technical issues with this mod, in order to understand their rejection. I know that I may go out of guarantee if I do this modification. Would I have to adjust the springs for stability issues apart from weighing the tyres and steering wheel? Thanks

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I don't understand why you need to understand their rejection at all. If you wish to raise your car, feel free to do so, Honda have specified what they want in their cars as they leave the showroom, if someone wishes to alter that afterwards, that is up to them.

I would imagine you would need to realignment again as that is likely to be off.

Or, you could sell the Honda and get something else which suits your needs as, from your recent posts, Honda technicians and millions of pounds of professional market and mechanical research clearly doesnt. May be time to get a vehicle which does which would save you money in the long run.

Toggerefc, PanayiotisPal and RTI like this.
  5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I guess I will not alter if wear will develop from it. If the mod is undertaken with realignment done too, will more wear develop due to this? This is what I need to find out. Honda has done their research in order to have a nice road behaviour, better handling due to the low center of gravity. 3cm is not a lot but will there be any counterefeects due to this lift? I need occasional off road and a bit more ground clearance because I don't want to risk hitting the car belly.Thanks

P.S. the firmware update has given very excellent off road capabilities after some more tests I have done in loose sand this weekend. I think I give a good rating to the AWD system with this AWD firmware update. It is much better than some tests I have read in youtube which I guess were done before the firmware update. The initial AWD firmware had a serious fault when the front wheels loose grip but it is fixed.

Toggerefc likes this.
  6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sod the warranty!

8499020946_93317ddb6c_b.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Just springs and no shockers? In my experience from lowering my own cars it's never a good idea to replace the springs and retain the standard shockers. The same would apply with lifting a car, the shockers were designed with a certain length and tensile strength of spring in mind. As I found myself you may not have a problem initially but shockers can and do fail due to non standard springs. By all means lift your car but I suggest fitting a shocker and spring set and have the car aligned as best as possible afterwards.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Spot on as usual with your advice @Beefy :Thumbup:

9. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

H&R only sell the 4 springs without new shocks because they make use of the stock ones. From the pdf file the axle 1 springs are 415mm and the axle 2 are 300mm (I suppose axle 1 is front and axle 2 is rear but I am not sure). I don't have a clue what length are the stock CR-V springs in order to compare. So the front / rear springs have a difference of 115mm. If I can find a complete set (springs and shocks) with this difference, at about same length, then it could be a better option but a difficult task.

If people lower their saloon cars ground clearance I don't see the reason why I cannot do the reverse of lowering. Thank you guys for your opinion. IF you have any information on the CR-V gen 4 stock springs length (front/rear) would be a good comparison with H&R lifting springs at least to proove their + 30mm length.

Cheers

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

In the States CR-V Lift Kit: Honda CR-V Lift Kit and Components is selling a complete lift kit called complete Dobinson Honda CR-V lift kit for 2012+ models.

I cannot find more info. The manufacturer website Dobinsons Spring & Suspension – Official Site has not updated its site to include the new Honda CR-V 2012 lift kit.

If this kit includes both springs and shocks then it could be better in the long term. I have to ask for more info.

What I am puzzled is the camber of the tyres. Is the camber adjustable in the CR-V or do I have to replace this part with a Camber kit?? Thanks

11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The reply from Rocky Road Outfitters regarding the Complete Dobinson Honda CR-V Lift Kit CR-V 2012+ is the following:
    The kit is only front and rear springs. Nothing else is needed. No other changes to the vehicle outside of an alignment. The kit falls within OEM alignment capabilities. Keeping the height mild also keeps it simple, and inexpensive. Lift 1.5-1.75" or 40mm

So no camber alignment and shocks are needed. Just the springs.

Toggerefc likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I read that different, that to me says nothing else other than an alignment is needed.

I would definitely get that done and do expect your shocks to go much sooner than they normally would.

Toggerefc and PanayiotisPal like this.
  13. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

SpeedyGee
    Cheers, you are correct. I missed that part. Is the alignment the normal steering wheel alignment?? or is there more to it including the camber alignment?? I don't know if the camber is adjustable or not. Could you please advice??? If the camber is not adjustable then I might also have to get either shims or an adjustable camber kit depending on misalignment degree.
    Thanks

(I have taken into account your opinion regarding the less life of the shocks. I hope it is not a lot less).
    - - - Updated - - -
    The kit falls within OEM alignment capabilities.
    Does this mean that the camber is adjustable????? This is very interesting. :Smile:

This means that I will probably get the lift done.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Regardless of what the product description says I would get four wheel laser alignment done anyway, you will instantly know if you are still within the manufacturer's stated alignment figures. My gut feeling is despite what the product description says that you won't be.

Camber isn't adjustable without after market camber adjustment kits.

15. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers. I will have a laser alignment done at the tyre shop, see how much camber is out, if within specs ok, and if not I have to be prepared to get that done too. Thanks for advising. I will post photos when/if I manage to do the lift.

Toggerefc likes this.
  16. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Pan

You will know the answer to this better than me but wouldn't higher profile tyres give you perhaps an extra 3cm? Seems to be a lot of room under the wheel arches. If so, all you would have to do is reset the deflation warning.

Phil

17. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil,
    I guess the higher profile tyres have other downfalls. Thought about it but I think I would prefer to have the springs and alignment option.
    1. Problem with odometer. Wrong speed when driving is shown.
    2. Will kill the acceleration
    3. 3 cm higher profile means only 1.5cm higher ground clearance.

Thanks for your opinion.

Phil P likes this.
  18. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice photo by the way. I will have it done. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Toggerefc likes this.
  19. mikesg New Member Getting Started

United States mike lillian
    So how did this turn out? I've got a 2014 CR-V and was considering the same kit.

20. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hello,
    Sorry for the very late response. It is one of those things that when you want to do it someone puts you off and get delayed. I did not convince myself enough I guess, to buy and install the kit as now my wide is driving the CR-V and me only occasionally. I don't like to be the first to try the kit. I am waiting someone else to do the installation first and hear his feedback.