Engine & Gearbox CR-V Cam Chain Noise N22A (2007)

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Gareth Hancox, Wednesday 17th Sep, 2014.

1. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Good Afternoon Guys

Forgive me if I've posted incorrectly as I've just joined.
    I own a Honda CR-V 3rd Generation 2007 2.2 I-CDTI which has developed a nasty timing chain rattle when driving the car.
    The car has had one owner from new and has been serviced and maintained by a Honda dealer at the correct intervals using 0-30w oil every time.
    I am led to believe that this noise should not have really developed and was wondering what I should do from here i.e maybe contact Honda HQ?
    The dealer had confirmed the fault and has quoted £1500 to sort :Frown:

Any advice would be most appreciated...

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The timing chain issues on the I-CTDI are very common indeed, and the dealer is no doubt aware of that. The thing worth mentioning is that you normally find these issues on the older i-CTDIs found on the Pre-Facelift Accord and not often on the CR-V. Although most posts relate to the Accord, some further reading for you below:

Introductions - My CDTI - Timing Chains story. - only if I had found forum earlier
    Engine & Gearbox - CDTI - Timing Chains and Oil Pump Chains
    Pre-Facelift Model - i-CTDi Cam Chain & Oil Pump Chain Wear Warranty Extension

Although to the best of my knowledge there's no TSB issued by Honda for the CR-V Timing Chain, you may be able to convince them to subsidise the replacement by bringing to their attention the fact that you're aware this has been a common design issue with the earlier i-CTDIs (again not the latter). @Ichiban is far more knowledgable on this subject and may be able to assist further.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Moved to 3rd Generation CR-V section

4. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Hi guys, just an update, contacted Honda HQ who were having none of it and preceded to tell me that the last record of my car being in to a Honda dealer was 2012 which is a load of bs, (got invoices proving other wise). They were not very helpful to say the least.
    I got a genuine timing chain kit (both chains all guides and tensioner off the Internet tegiwa imports) saved a couple of hundred quid than going to a Honda dealer. Did the job myself with a mechanic friend took a full weekend.
    The guides were well worn everything else looked ok but changed all parts while I had it apart, now a lot quiter and happy

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear you got her sorted in the end, even if it meant you had to do it yourself.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That'll be on the dealership who worked on your car not amending details of the work done to your VIN record.

I'm sorry to tell you this mate, but Tegiwa "imports" OEM gear comes straight from a particular UK dealer, and @Holdcroft Honda can beat their prices every time with club discount because of this.

Nevertheless, glad to hear it's all sorted in the end! :Thumbup:

7. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Duly noted for next time I need some parts, thanks for the heads up,
    I think I read somewhere that you had to have so many posts or likes? before you could get discount or am I talking bull??

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham