Engine & Gearbox CR-V clutch judder

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Thursday 12th Jul, 2012.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi , I have recently purchased a 2010 CR-V 2.0 EX with 11000 miles on the clock and I am experiencing a slight clutch judder when pulling away, particularly on a slight incline.
    I have put clutch judder into the search facility but nothing comes up. From searching on the net it appears that it is a known problem with cars built around 2007 onwards and from the old threads that Honda was working on a fix. Does anyone know if it was resolved ?
    The gear change is also notchy between 1st and 2nd, is this associated?
    Thanks
    Mike c

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    From experience on Accord a clutch judder in first gear is a clutch plate juddering against the flywheel which can be a manufacturing issue or some really hard driving.Get it checked out by your nearest dealer if they find the situation they can put a claim to get the entire clutch kit and the flywheel changed.

Notchy gear change is the CR-V trait it , you just have to live with it I am afraid.

3. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info, I will take the car into the dealership and get them to check it out
    Regards
    Mike c

Last edited: Thursday 12th Jul, 2012
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry Mike lost in translation bud?

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oops pressed the wrong buttons !!

6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I took the car into Honda Shrewsbury to get the clutch checked out. The technician tried the car and said that the judder is a common thing in the Petrol version of the CR-V. He suggested using more revs when pulling off on inclines. He said that the problem does not occur on the auto petrol ( which is obvious due to the fluid flywheel ) or with the diesel version. He also said that they replaced a clutch and flywheel in a 5k CR-V because a customer complained and the problem remained. It seems it is quite common.
    Having driven for 43 years ( the majority of which has been in petrol vehicles) I have never had any problems with clutch technique, however I can accept that due to the lower torque of the petrol this might be feasible. Have any other petrol drivers experienced this problem?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mike you need a second opinion bud.This is a Honda we are talking about not a back street engineered cars. The technicians attempt to convince you on his belief on his repairs is not set in stone.The attempt to smear the rest of the CR-V with the same brush is not ideal.

There is no evidence within Honda this is normal behaviour,is this technician fitted brand new pressure,clutch plate and release bearing to warped flywheel it will have no effect.

Inside tip

1) People don't buy brand new flywheels as the cost of clutch repairs increases.
    2) secondly dealer won't stock flywheels in their stock inventory , unless its a diesel.
    3) Since this part in not in stock and will be next day, customer may change his mind and won't get the work done.
    4) Inaccurate diagnoses or inability to check the the flywheel run out.
    5) This belief flywheel never get warped , don't brake disc get warped?

You car is under warranty , please do not accept this.

8. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Your comments are all valid, I will try another dealership to see what they say.
    Mike c

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This time speak to the service manager bypass the front desk staff and technicians. You have a better chance of getting the attention and hopefully fix it.

10. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey just picked up my CR-V 2010 petrol ex yesterday and can honestly say that i am more than happy with it however after driving a few on test drive I feel that the gears feel notchy this morning as you have described,

I wonder if I am in a better position to complain now as that I have had the car less than 24h:Whistle:

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had occasional judder on post 100,000 mile 6th Generation Accord when it was fitted with an aftermarket clutch.

I lived with it and when it annoyed me plenty of revs made it temporarily go away.

Like CJ however no way would I have put up with it if the car was under a Honda warranty.

When mine was under warranty I would not even tolerate rattles. And to be fair the rattle I reported was a known problem for which Honda had a recognised fix.

This is Honda's problem not yours. No way is it a wear and tear issue with the age and mileage of this vehicle.

Don't take no for an answer, and start putting things in writing.

12. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys
    Thanks for your comments, I took the CR-V to my usual Honda dealer in Telford and the workshop manager tried the car. He admitted that there was a slight judder and has agreed to try some other petrol versions as they go through the workshop. He has promised to look into it further and notify me of his findings. I have dealt with this guy for years and he normally gets things moving.
    It is interesting that hotmrd has reported no problem other than the notchy gear change which seems to the case with all CR-V of this year and version. If other petrol owners confirm that they do not experience the judder I will write to HUK to see what they say.
    The manager at Telford seemed to be interested in this forum when I showed it to him on my iPhone. Maybe he will join and offer the members his support?
    Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  13. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey

I can honestly say that after driving CR-V over this week the gears seams to be less notchy, Just think it that car must have been stood for a while and needed to be warmed up

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think 1st to 2nd is always potentially the most notchy change on any car especially when the box is cold.

The Honda service schedule specifies a transmission fluid change at something like 75000 miles but some of us on AOC myself included are big fans of more frequent changes such as every 2 years. Honda specify their own fluid, Honda MTF III, and alternatives are available such as Castrol Syntrans which personally I use and find excellent, plus other makes on the Opie Oils website.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Having said all that it's still probably a bit early for your CR-V!

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

On the Accord is you have a notchy shift it can be easily fixed with flush of MFT oil. Zoran 2.4 8th Generation has covered 32K miles.last weekend he came around and immediately after a quick spin I told him the oil needed changing.( will do a DIY thread on that)

After the change the shift was sweet and perfect.

17. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey Ichiban im off to Wales on the weekend with family (hope it snows), but will look into changing MTF some point soon DIY would be great:GoodJob:

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Correction - I used Castrol SMX-S which was the Syntrans predecessor - however SMX-S is a 75W 85, but Syntrans is 75W 90 which is thicker and outside the 10W 30 or 10W 40 spec mentioned in the owner's manual, so I'll be avoiding it once I use up my last SMX-S. The Honda MTF isn't any more expensive anyway.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Transmission oil should not be purchased whilst comparing engine oils, Honda suggest you can use engine oils in the gearbox ONLY as a temporary measure. Engine oils don't have the additives which are present in gearbox oils. MTF3 is made by eneos and has all the additives as prescribed by Honda R&D.