Electrical & Lights CR-V front headlight washer unit leaking (bulletin issued, but no number obtained)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crvgen4, Wednesday 1st Jul, 2015.

1. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Hello there - I recently had our 2013 CR-V serviced and when it was returned I noticed water leaking from the underneath of the front passenger side (just in front of the wheel).

It turns out that there is a connector on the headlight washer unit that is leaking (Honda suspect caused by hard water and have issued a bulletin about this). What happens is about a litre of water will drip out of the unit, but that leaves most of the washer tank full so headlight washers and wipers all work, just with a reduced tank capacity.

Honda took the car back and explained that this is an identified issue, but were not going to replace the defective part under warranty as it was not safety related, but it's a pretty poor show considering that the car never has just plain tap water added to the washer tank - always the correct screen wash mix which has limescale inhibitors.

I think that I'll just pay for the part to be replaced and if this turns out to be a fix that Honda need to apply, or they provide an updated part, I'll try to get the money or goodwill back from them.

I didn't get a note of the bulletin number, but if it's been issued, it must be somewhat common. Just thought you'd like to know in case you discover mysterious leaks of washer fluid under your CR-V.

If anyone else has this, please feel free to add to the thread. I'll make sure to provide prices for the fix when the garage gets back to me on that.

2. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    According to the invoice, the bulletin number is : SP-08-005-00UK.

And the notes state:
    "Honda technical advise washer jet does not need replacing at this stage and are reviewing all cases individually. Awaiting response."

Which I suspect means they are trying to get a handle on how many are affected and what they can do to modify (if necessary) the part(s).

I was also quoted £286 to have the washer unit replaced - so for the moment, I'll wait to see what Honda does before I commit to that cost.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    crvgen4 likes this.
  4. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thanks Ichiban - that's exactly what I saw from the garage. Odd thing is that since having the car, we've never used anything but premix fluid or VW fanjet additive. Never had a problem on any my other cars with xenons and headlight washers, so very Honda specific. We'll see what they come back with.

Out of interest, how often are the headlight washers supposed to activate when the lights are on? Is it once per ignition cycle?
    The VW's used to activate every 5 cycles, the Mazda every 5 (or with a double pull of the washer stalk). The CR-V only seems to do it the first time the washers are used when lights are on, which I suppose is why they have a button to wash the lights on the dash.

Thanks for posting that bulletin and the notes. Always very helpful.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry I haven't picked this up earlier, Yeah I have to admit I have seen a Accord with white crusty sentiments and this issue did not affect the headlight washers. It would seem this is a different design from the Accord and other previous CR-V's
    The headlight washers will come on only when the headlight are for the once cycle and yes you have the washer button on the side for extra washing, Previous Accord and CR-V did that everytime you pulled the stalk so its an improvement really.

crvgen4 likes this.
  6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Unfortunately it's not common practice at all dealers to use distilled water or pre-mix. A lot may add a sachet of additive but being honest with you 99.9% won't use distilled water. This is partly why Honda are asking for water samples to ascertain the hardest water areas as part of the investigations.

crvgen4 likes this.
  7. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    @Beefy - it really is an interesting investigation as the majority of the UK has water supplies with in excess of 150mg calcium carbonate per liter. So you'd expect to see clusters of this problem correlating quite closely to the indicated hard water areas shown on the DWI / DEFRA map.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/hardness_map.pdf

And according to Southern Water, we have hard water at home, but not anywhere near the levels that the other map would indicate.

07-07-2015 14-10-18.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We have very sweet water up in Yorkshire no hose pipe ban here either which southerner are about to get ..:smoke:

crvgen4 likes this.
  9. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thanks Ichiban - so it looks like a redesigned part may be the root cause if the older Accords / CR-V's didn't exhibit this issue. It would be good if Honda can isolate and provide a fix as it's a bit of a pain to lose washer fluid all over the drive each time you fill up. I wonder what level Honda's comment on 'extreme hard water areas' actually means here.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt it was a redesigned part I would say the ones on your CR-V are different design. The same design is in the CR-V in the states and they don't have the issue. I think it has to be the manufacture of these headlight washers which is poor and sourced within the EU.

You can mitigate the risk by using soft water that will work but come on we had cars for years and this hard water was known then as it is now. Honda should get the same ones from the states and fit them on the cars

crvgen4 likes this.
  11. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    @Ichiban - good suggestion about sourcing a unit from the US. It's not uncommonly hard water in the majority of the UK, and this failure just seems to be down to poor production of the washer units. None of our other many cars with headlight washers ever had this issue - seems to be particular to the UK spec CR-V. Here's hoping that Honda get a fix sorted out soon.

12. Colin Ambrose New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Colin Christchurch
    Hi
    My CR-V has the same headlamp washer problem. Discovered the leak about eighteen months after purchasing it new in 2014 although I suspect the leak started earlier. The dealer refused to carry out the repair under warranty as it was not a safety issue and of course blamed hard water because I mix my own solution. Unhappy with that I wrote to Honda's so called customer relations only to receive a standard letter back about the situation being frustrating but it was not felt to be a manufacturing defect but they were looking for a resolution etc etc. The letter also referred me back to the dealership! Having read the TSB (Published on Honda Karma site) I wrote back and asked why they were not willing to fix the problem and then recommend that I use pre-mixed solution as per the instructions in the TSB. Seemed a quick way of solving the problem. My letter was ignored and when I queried it I was told that there was no record of them receiving it! They have now written to me again (totally ignoring my suggestion) and guess what?... sent me their original reply again with an added paragraph suggesting I contact an organisation called Motor Codes.
    This was the first Honda I have bought and although I am pleased with it overall, my treatment by customer relations does not inspire me to buy another. There are vague references to this problem (on the internet) as far back as 2012 so I think it very doubtful a fix is imminent if ever.
    If I want to sell my CR-V privately I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for a repair!

13. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    That's a pain for you Colin. I totally forgot to update my post to state that my local garage did carry out a goodwill fix and get the money back from Honda last year.
    They did have to push Honda for this, but came good in the end.